[net.micro.mac] Free $80 Inside Macintosh

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (01/22/86)

I thought I saw passing reference to this, but let me reiterate for
anyone who missed it.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Apple IS making good on one of their
promises to early pioneers.  In fact, it appears to me that Scully
is living up to what he's told stock analysts, which is that Apple
will start taking promises seriously.  (I consider the Lisa 1/2/XL
to Mac Plus upgrade path another sign of good faith).

In the UPS today I got a letter:

    Dear Developer,

    When you purchased the Macintosh Software Supplement we promised
    to send you a copy of the published edition of Inside Macintosh
    when it was available.  We know you've been waiting a long time
    and we're delighted to be able to reward your patience by sending
    you the hardbound edtion of Inside Macintosh from Addison-Wesley,
    which you will find enclosed....

(It also includes an order form for the Dec 85 supplement, $25, including
the HFS Programmer's Package.)

After hearing from one software publisher that Apple had dropped
the idea for reasons of cost, I for one am pleasantly suprised and
encouraged.  I also think that good follow-through on commitments
is a sign of an organization that knows what it's doing, builds trust
in the business community and is an encouraging sign for Apple's
prospects.

And despite all the general bitching and groaning two years ago, I
think the $250 for Inside Mac and the Software Supplement was well
spent.  I'm sure Apple lost money on me on it (though they made it
on my 128k, 1 drive Mac + Imagewriter at $2800).

--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

korn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (01/25/86)

In article <266@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
>.....................................  (I consider the Lisa 1/2/XL
>to Mac Plus upgrade path another sign of good faith).
>
>	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681

I haven't heard about such a Lisa to Mac Plus upgrade.  What are the details
(read prices) of such?

-----
Peter Korn	korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU     {dual,dscvax,sdcsvax}!ucbvax!korn

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (01/25/86)

>>.....................................  (I consider the Lisa 1/2/XL
>>to Mac Plus upgrade path another sign of good faith).
>>
>>	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
>
>I haven't heard about such a Lisa to Mac Plus upgrade.  What are the details
>(read prices) of such?
>
>-----
>Peter Korn	korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU     {dual,dscvax,sdcsvax}!ucbvax!korn

I don't have the details here.  It was posted earlier to the net.  Basically,
Apple takes you Lisa and $1500 and gives you a Mac+ with HD20.

You have to do this sometime before August (I think).

As an owner of two Lisas, I hardly think that this is a "sign of good faith"

  (a) Most Lisa owners are already running 1 Meg+ machines.  So, memory wise,
      there is no gain.

  (b) You would appear to be s... out of luck if you want to run any software
      developed to run under the Lisa operating system. (OK if you did it
      under Mac Works).

  (c) The 20 Meg hard disk initially sounds appealing.  However, I suspect
      that most Lisa owners currently own 5 or 10 Meg Profiles or third
      party hard drives.  So, the HD20 is nice, but what to do with the
      Profiles that all ready give good service?

  (d) Hard disk file managers for the Lisas with Profiles are good, while
      the HD20 appears not to be so wonderful.  Also, I haven't seen timing
      comparisons between them.

  (e) If you would want to develop software, you would also be out of luck.
      Last I heard, Apple's development package is still some way off.

I will agree that the new chips are appealing. However, without the 68020
upgrade, I'm not sure that we are talking about any quantum leap in
performance - but, I've been wrong before.  This appears to be all that you
get for your $1500.  I'm not sure that the gains of getting the Mac+ net out
positive over keeping an existing Lisa.  I am a lot more doubtful that the
gains are worth the money.

hammen@puff.UUCP (Robert Hammen) (01/26/86)

In article <11545@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU>, mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) writes:
> >>.....................................  (I consider the Lisa 1/2/XL
> >>to Mac Plus upgrade path another sign of good faith).
> >>
> >>	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
> >
> >I haven't heard about such a Lisa to Mac Plus upgrade.  What are the details
> >(read prices) of such?
> >
> >-----
> >Peter Korn	korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU     {dual,dscvax,sdcsvax}!ucbvax!korn
>
> I don't have the details here.  It was posted earlier to the net.  Basically,
> Apple takes you Lisa and $1500 and gives you a Mac+ with HD20.
>
> You have to do this sometime before August (I think).
>
>   (c) The 20 Meg hard disk initially sounds appealing.  However, I suspect
>       that most Lisa owners currently own 5 or 10 Meg Profiles or third
>       party hard drives.  So, the HD20 is nice, but what to do with the
>       Profiles that all ready give good service?

Does this suggest that Lisa owners can keep their Profiles if they trade
in the Lisa?  I haven't been able to find this out from any Apple dealers.
All I do know is that the trade-in plan runs from April 15 through August
31, and costs $1498.  (I have heard that developers may be able to trade their
machines in earlier - end of February?).  If Apple doesn't want Profiles
back, then I supect that I can sell mine to an Apple // or /// user
(anybody wanna buy a 3-month old 10 meg. Profile?) to help defray the cost
of the "upgrade."

					Robert J. Hammen
					Manta Software Corp.
					U. of Wisc. CS Dept.

waddingt@umn-cs.UUCP (Jake Waddington ) (01/26/86)

In article <11545@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU> mazlack@ernie.UUCP (Lawrence J. Mazlack) writes:

>As an owner of two Lisas, I hardly think that this (Lisa to Mac+ upgrade), is a
"sign of good faith"

>  (a) Most Lisa owners are already running 1 Meg+ machines.  So, memory wise,
>      there is no gain.
>
>  (b) You would appear to be s... out of luck if you want to run any software
>      developed to run under the Lisa operating system. (OK if you did it
>      under Mac Works).
>
>  (c) The 20 Meg hard disk initially sounds appealing.  However, I suspect
>      that most Lisa owners currently own 5 or 10 Meg Profiles or third
>      party hard drives.  So, the HD20 is nice, but what to do with the
>      Profiles that all ready give good service?

You get an upgrade to the latest machine, at least twice the disk memory in a
better drive, A much faster machine for about half price.
 What more do you want?

If you really love your Lisa that much keep it! But, don't complain that
Apple isn't treating you right.

tdn@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (01/30/86)

> You get an upgrade to the latest machine, at least twice the disk memory in a
> better drive, A much faster machine for about half price.
> What more do you want?

Aren't you forgetting something?  The Lisa 1 (which cost $10,000) had *two*
5.25" disk drives which stored somewhere between 700K and 800K per diskette.
Anyone who upgraded from a Lisa to a Lisa 2 lost about 3/4 of their on-line
removable storage.  Upgrading to a Mac+ reduces this figure to slightly less
than 1/2, and certainly doesn't give Lisa 1 owners more floppy disk storage
than they had originally.

                                        -- Thomas Newton
                                           Thomas.Newton@spice.cs.cmu.edu

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (02/05/86)

In article <491@spice.cs.cmu.edu> tdn@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
>> You get an upgrade to the latest machine, at least twice the disk memory in a
>> better drive, A much faster machine for about half price.
>> What more do you want?
>
>Aren't you forgetting something?  The Lisa 1 (which cost $10,000) had *two*
>5.25" disk drives which stored somewhere between 700K and 800K per diskette.
>Anyone who upgraded from a Lisa to a Lisa 2 lost about 3/4 of their on-line
>removable storage.  Upgrading to a Mac+ reduces this figure to slightly less
>than 1/2, and certainly doesn't give Lisa 1 owners more floppy disk storage
>than they had originally.
>
>                                        -- Thomas Newton
>                                           Thomas.Newton@spice.cs.cmu.edu

True, but the new drives are MUCH more reliable. Those old twiggies in
the Lisa 1 were terrible. Out of the six we had on three Lisas, about
eight of them went bad. They kept coming out of alignment. Apple's
recommended cure was to get them back in alignment and super-glue them.

	--MKR