[net.micro.mac] What to do about SS 3.5 disks?

alee@utcsri.UUCP (Alison Lee) (02/03/86)

I have been told that a while back this forum discussed the
viability of using the single sided 3.5" diskettes as double
sided disks.  I somehow missed the discussion on this.  With
the release of the new double sided floppy drive,
it would seem appropriate and informative to summarize the
conclusions reached at that time.  I am sure there will be
a few people with a stash of the SS floppies wondering about
what to do with them.

Also, I was searching around for double sided floppies and
and found a brand from an office supplies store (Grand & Toy)
called Dysan.
I visited about 3 computer stores and none had the DS one,
and all had the SS disks and double density disks.
What I liked to know is does anyone have any
experience with the Dysan brand and also what other floppy
manufacturers make DS disks (e.g., Sony?)?

Thanks in advance,
Alison Lee
	    Computer Systems Research Institute    University of Toronto
	    Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!alee
	    CSNET:	alee@Toronto
	    ARPA:	alee.toronto@csnet-relay

e-smith@utah-cs.UUCP (02/07/86)

In article <2044@utcsri.UUCP> alee@utcsri.UUCP (Alison Lee) writes:

>What I liked to know is does anyone have any
>experience with the Dysan brand and also what other floppy
>manufacturers make DS disks (e.g., Sony?)?

Dysan has always made the best 5.25" disks (all types).  I have never had a
problem with a Dysan (I've used over 500 extensively).

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (02/08/86)

In article <2044@utcsri.UUCP> alee@utcsri.UUCP (Alison Lee) writes:
>What I liked to know is does anyone have any
>experience with the Dysan brand and also what other floppy
>manufacturers make DS disks (e.g., Sony?)?

I have had experience with Dysan brand, but not 3.5" minifloppies.  I
used Dysan on 5.25" floppies for my Apple II (when I had it).  Dysan
makes top quality products - though not usually cheap.
--
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:

...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad				or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!herb			or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad%brand@usc-ecl.ARPA