[net.micro.mac] Program for unpacking PackIt files

weber@brand.UUCP (Allan G. Weber) (01/25/86)

I have just posted to net.sources.mac a program I call "unpit" that I've
been using since last fall on a 4.2BSD VAX to unpack the components of a
PackIt file into separate files.  Each Macintosh file in the PackIt file
will be written out as separate .data, .rsrc, and .info files suitable for
downloading via macput.  It hasn't been heavily used and tested but seems to
be doing what it's supposed to do.

				Allan Weber
				USC Signal & Image Processing Inst.
				Arpanet:  Weber%Brand@USC-ECL
				Usenet:	  ...sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!weber

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (01/28/86)

	Thank You, Thank You, THANK YOU for this one, Mr. Weber!  I at
least greatly appreciate it!

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!reed!bart

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (01/28/86)

>I have just posted to net.sources.mac a program I call "unpit" that I've
>been using since last fall on a 4.2BSD VAX to unpack the components of a
>PackIt file into separate files.

Funny, I could've just SWORN that PackIt was able to do this!  Amazing! :-)

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

rick@nvzg2.UUCP (Rick Gessner) (02/03/86)

> >I have just posted to net.sources.mac a program I call "unpit" that I've
> >been using since last fall on a 4.2BSD VAX to unpack the components of a
> >PackIt file into separate files.
>
> Funny, I could've just SWORN that PackIt was able to do this!  Amazing! :-)
>
> -Brian Diehm
> Tektronix, Inc.

Lighten Up Brian.......just try to run PackIt on a U*IX box.
That is where this pgm runs.

Rick Gessner
AT&T-IS

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (02/03/86)

In article <478@tekig4.UUCP> briand@tekig4Diehm.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>I have just posted to net.sources.mac a program I call "unpit" that I've
>>been using since last fall on a 4.2BSD VAX to unpack the components of a
>>PackIt file into separate files.
>
>Funny, I could've just SWORN that PackIt was able to do this!  Amazing! :-)
>
>-Brian Diehm
>Tektronix, Inc.

If you would have LOOKED a little closer, you would have found out that
"unpit" unpacks files on UNIX, not on the Mac (as PackIt) does.  This
provides many advantages for those people who keep archives on their Vaxs.
Instead of having to upload the entire *.pit file, and then unpack it
(sometimes impossible or difficult due to disk space on Mac), you can upload
those files that you need.  Most PackIt files contain documentation as well
as the programs.  If you have "w2t", you can print out the documentation
without having to upload it to your mac, etc.

					Amazing! :-)

--
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:

...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad				or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!herb			or
...!{lbl-csam|trwrb|trwspp}!trwspf!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad%brand@usc-ecl.ARPA

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (02/08/86)

>>>I have just posted to net.sources.mac a program I call "unpit" that I've
>>>been using since last fall on a 4.2BSD VAX to unpack the components of a
>>>PackIt file into separate files.
>>
>>Funny, I could've just SWORN that PackIt was able to do this!  Amazing! :-)
>>
>>-Brian Diehm
>>Tektronix, Inc.
>
>If you would have LOOKED a little closer, you would have found out that
>"unpit" unpacks files on UNIX, not on the Mac (as PackIt) does.

Boy, do I sit corrected!  I have MacPaint images of fried eggs just all over
my face!  Ahem, I just can't take me out anywhere. . .

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.