[net.micro.mac] My Apple modem won't stop answering my phone!

diamond@andromeda.UUCP (Robert Diamond) (02/07/86)

Maybe someone out there can help me.  I have an Apple 1200 modem
(model a9m0301).  As long as it it turned on, my phone will get answered
on the first ring.  You can imagine how annoying it is for someone calling
me long distance when I forget to turn the modem off.  People think it is
an answering machine gone haywire.
      Any suggestions?

      allegra  \  pyramid \       Rob Diamond, Rutgers Newark - CS Dept.
      harvard   \          \      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       seismo    > !topaz   > !andromeda!diamond
     ut-sally   /          /
       sri-iu  /    pyrnj /            "I been HYP-MO-TIZED!!!!!!!!"
ihnp4!packard /

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (02/08/86)

In article <80@andromeda.UUCP> diamond@andromeda.UUCP (Robert Diamond) writes:
>Maybe someone out there can help me.  I have an Apple 1200 modem
>(model a9m0301).  As long as it it turned on, my phone will get answered
>on the first ring.  You can imagine how annoying it is for someone calling

Enter a terminal emulator, type 'ATS0=0<CR>'

The modem will not answer the phone until reset ( type 'ATS0=1<CR>'), turned
off or a terminal emulator tells it to answer.
Note: There are reports that MacTerminal 1.0 and earlier do something
strange concerning this. I suggest you don't use the wait for call option
in MacTerminal (versions < 2.0).
Also note: You could type 'ATS0=10<CR>' and it wouldn't answer 'till the
10th ring.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (02/08/86)

Here's how to fix that problem:

Get into your favourite terminal program, and type (to the modem)

			ATS0=0

This will tell your modem NEVER to answer the phone (until the modem is reset),
numbers from 1->255 will set the answer flag from 1 to 255 rings...

					David Spector
					NYU/acf Systems Group