[net.micro.mac] HFS compatability and Software backup - Simple solutions

gus@Shasta.ARPA (01/12/86)

There seems to be a large number of messages on the net that sound like
either, "I can't get xxx to work with HFS" or "How do I back up xxx?" There
is a simple procedure for dealing with each of these problems.

HOW TO GET A PROGRAM TO WORK WITH HFS

1) Buy the program
2) Send in your registration card
3) Wait till around February for an update
4) If an update does not come, and the program still does not work, then
	call the company.

Remember that a lot of companies may be holding off until Apple announces
new products to make sure that they did	not make any dumb mistakes. Many
people are still wondering why the Hard Disk 20 was released with the 5.0
finder early in the first place instead of waiting until now with the rest
of the products, especially since people are only now starting to get their
HD 20's.

HOW TO BACK UP ANY PIECE OF SOFTWARE

1) Go to your local dealer and check out the software you are interested in.
2) IF the software is more than 1 month old THEN
	a) Buy the program
	b) Buy the current release of COPY II Mac.
   ELSE
	a) Buy the program
	b) Note the current release of COPY II Mac but don't buy it unless
		you already know that your program is already copyable with
		it.
	c) Wait 2 weeks to 1 month
	d) Check the new release of COPY II Mac.
	e) If the release is the same as the previous one, go back to step
		b.
	f) Buy the current release of Copy II Mac.
3) Use Copy II Mac to backup the program that you just bought.

Copy II Mac by Central Point Software is far and away be best supported
program available for the Mac, if you count the number of released versions
as a measure of support. I cannot see why software companies insist on
pouring thousands of dollars into copy protection which from past experience
has lasted less than a month at worst. Jazz, perhaps the most sophisticated
protection system known to date lasted less than 2 weeks. Excel relied on its
P-Code interpreter in order to be un-copyable for at most 1 month.

Copy II Mac is available at my local dealer for $22.95 (ComputerWare, Palo
Alto, CA) and is certainly worth every penny I paid for it. Unlike on the IBM
PC, no reliable method has been found to write a mark on a Mac disk that can
be READ but not WRITTEN by the Mac's IWM. Physically damaging the media a-la
prolock would require that the disk be left un-write-protected. Anyone
serious about keeping their valuable software intact will see how
unacceptable this would be. (You DO write-protect all of your master disks,
don't you?)

guest@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) (01/18/86)

> unacceptable this would be. (You DO write-protect all of your master disks,
> don't you?)

I was just wondering... An article on the net several months ago hinted that
write-protecting a disk (with the tab in the upper left corner) didn't REALLY
protect the disk; that it was up to the software to ask the OS if the disk
was locked; that if the s/w didn't ask, the disk could be written to whether
or not it was locked.    DOES ANYONE IN NETLAND KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?????

Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (01/19/86)

In article <348@ccivax.UUCP> guest@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>I was just wondering... An article on the net several months ago hinted that
>write-protecting a disk (with the tab in the upper left corner) didn't REALLY
>protect the disk; that it was up to the software to ask the OS if the disk
>was locked; that if the s/w didn't ask, the disk could be written to whether
>or not it was locked.    DOES ANYONE IN NETLAND KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?????
>

>Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY

I believe this is true since I had a nasty experience with ResEdit (0.5 I
think) last spring.  I had the disk locked, and was trying to Paste a resource
into another file.  ResEdit gave a spurious error, not hinting at disk-lock
being the problem at all, and informed me that it couldn't save the file.
However, every time I tried, it would update the Last Modified: date/time for
that file.  One that 'it couldn't save' and was on a locked disk.  This
indicates to me that disk-locking doesn't have any hardware protection at all.

Anyone have a more technical explanation?

--Chris
---------------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA     or  ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

korn@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (01/20/86)

Has to be, as finder 1.1g would allow you to edit filenames and the
finder "info" stuff, even though the disk was "write protected".  Finder
4.5 doesn't allow this though...

-----
Peter Korn	korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU     {dual,dscvax,sdcsvax}!ucbvax!korn

gus@Shasta.ARPA (01/21/86)

> > unacceptable this would be. (You DO write-protect all of your master disks,
> > don't you?)
>
> I was just wondering... An article on the net several months ago hinted that
> write-protecting a disk (with the tab in the upper left corner) didn't REALLY
> protect the disk; that it was up to the software to ask the OS if the disk
> was locked; that if the s/w didn't ask, the disk could be written to whether
> or not it was locked.    DOES ANYONE IN NETLAND KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?????
>

> Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY

...And an article from Apple a few days later said that indeed, the disk IS
write-protected in hardware as well as software.

wrs@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Walter Smith) (01/22/86)

In article <348@ccivax.UUCP>, guest@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
> I was just wondering... An article on the net several months ago hinted that
> write-protecting a disk (with the tab in the upper left corner) didn't REALLY
> protect the disk; that it was up to the software to ask the OS if the disk
> was locked; that if the s/w didn't ask, the disk could be written to whether
> or not it was locked.    DOES ANYONE IN NETLAND KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?????
>

> Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY

According to the Hardware Manual, the IWM has a status bit indicating that
the disk is locked.  It says to be sure to check this bit before writing to
the disk.  I would think this was done at the disk driver level, but there
seem to be cases of applications writing to locked disks, so...

--
      Walter Smith, CS undergraduate, Carnegie-Mellon University
uucp: ...!seismo!cmu-cs-k!wrs		       arpa: wrs@cmu-cs-k.ARPA

hammen@gumby.UUCP (Robert Hammen) (01/24/86)

In article <1667@Shasta.ARPA>, gus@Shasta.ARPA writes:
> > > unacceptable this would be. (You DO write-protect all of your master disks,
> > > don't you?)
> >
> > I was just wondering... An article on the net several months ago hinted that
> > write-protecting a disk (with the tab in the upper left corner) didn't REALLY
> > protect the disk; that it was up to the software to ask the OS if the disk
> > was locked; that if the s/w didn't ask, the disk could be written to whether
> > or not it was locked.    DOES ANYONE IN NETLAND KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE?????
> >

> > Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY
>
> ...And an article from Apple a few days later said that indeed, the disk IS
> write-protected in hardware as well as software.

The way the protection works is if a sensor sees the little red light shine
through the hole of a locked disk, nothing gets written to the disk.
However, I've been told that it is possible to instruct the IWM to turn off
the light, thereby making the disk writeable....
						Robert J. Hammen
						Manta Software Corp.
						U of Wisc. CS Dept.
						hammen@gumby.uucp

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (01/27/86)

In article <45@gumby.UUCP> hammen@gumby.UUCP writes:

>The way the protection works is if a sensor sees the little red light shine
>through the hole of a locked disk, nothing gets written to the disk.
>However, I've been told that it is possible to instruct the IWM to turn off
>the light, thereby making the disk writeable....
>						Robert J. Hammen
>						Manta Software Corp.
>						U of Wisc. CS Dept.
>						hammen@gumby.uucp

Then how come my Sony disks work? The write-protect mechanism on those
diskettes doesn't include a hole going through the diskette - there is a
small tab that can be moved back and forth, but you can't see through the
diskette in either mode.

	--MKR

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (01/30/86)

In article <425@mmm.UUCP>, mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) writes:
> In article <45@gumby.UUCP> hammen@gumby.UUCP writes:
> >
> >The way the protection works is if a sensor sees the little red light shine
> >through the hole of a locked disk, nothing gets written to the disk.
> >However, I've been told that it is possible to instruct the IWM to turn off
> >the light, thereby making the disk writeable....
> >						Robert J. Hammen
> >						Manta Software Corp.
> >						U of Wisc. CS Dept.
> >						hammen@gumby.uucp
>
> Then how come my Sony disks work? The write-protect mechanism on those
> diskettes doesn't include a hole going through the diskette - there is a
> small tab that can be moved back and forth, but you can't see through the
> diskette in either mode.
>
> 	--MKR
 No, you don't seem to understand.  The tab that you slide back & forth IS
 the hole that I'm referring to. (I never said the hole was in the actual
 media).  When the tab is moved so that you can see through the CASE of the
 microdisk, then the disk is locked.

						Robert J. Hammen

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/01/86)

Real hackers look before they talk.  In computers, it's a big mistake to
confuse assumptions with reality.

A quick glance at the position of the write-protect tab inside the disk
drive (and you don't have to take off the case for this) shows a little
spring-driven metal tab, and no LED.  Therefore, all this stuff about
turning off the LED is the sheerest fabrication.  The mechanism is obviously
mechanical, not optical.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot, Centram Systems West, Berkeley
uucp: {sun,lll-crg,well,dual,ptsfa,frog,decvax}!hoptoad!tim
CompuServe: 74176,1360 | Do not remove this quip under penalty of law.

gcc@ssc-vax.UUCP (Greg C Croasdill) (02/03/86)

> > >The way the protection works is if a sensor sees the little red light shine
> > >through the hole of a locked disk, nothing gets written to the disk.
> > >However, I've been told that it is possible to instruct the IWM to turn off
> > >the light, thereby making the disk writeable....
> > >						Robert J. Hammen
> > >						Manta Software Corp.
> > >						U of Wisc. CS Dept.
> > >						hammen@gumby.uucp
> >
> > Then how come my Sony disks work? The write-protect mechanism on those
> > diskettes doesn't include a hole going through the diskette - there is a
> > small tab that can be moved back and forth, but you can't see through the
> > diskette in either mode.
> >
> > 	--MKR
>  No, you don't seem to understand.  The tab that you slide back & forth IS
>  the hole that I'm referring to. (I never said the hole was in the actual
>  media).  When the tab is moved so that you can see through the CASE of the
>  microdisk, then the disk is locked.
>
> 						Robert J. Hammen

On the HP 3.5" disk there is no hole. (period)  There is a small clip in
the correct place for the hole, which you can break off and "protect" your
disks, but no light can get through this area in any case.  Here at Boeing,
this is the type of disk stocked, are we screwed ?  Can we not protect our
data?  Let's here some real answers (Apple).

Thanks in advance.
Greg C  (uw-beaver|fluke)!ssc-vax!gcc

disclaimer:  I am not speaking for the Boeing company, only as an interested
party, with alot of valuable data on perhaps vulnerable diskettes.

quote of the day:
'A woman stepped forward and asked, "What is the strangest day?"
	"Tuesday", the Master explained.'
				-from _The Profit_ by Kehlog Albran

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (02/05/86)

In article <597@puff.UUCP> hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:
>In article <425@mmm.UUCP>, mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) writes:
>> In article <45@gumby.UUCP> hammen@gumby.UUCP writes:
>> >
>> >The way the protection works is if a sensor sees the little red light shine
>> >through the hole of a locked disk, nothing gets written to the disk.
>> >However, I've been told that it is possible to instruct the IWM to turn off
>> >the light, thereby making the disk writeable....
>> >						Robert J. Hammen
>> >						Manta Software Corp.
>> >						U of Wisc. CS Dept.
>> >						hammen@gumby.uucp
>>
>> Then how come my Sony disks work? The write-protect mechanism on those
>> diskettes doesn't include a hole going through the diskette - there is a
>> small tab that can be moved back and forth, but you can't see through the
>> diskette in either mode.
>>
>> 	--MKR
> No, you don't seem to understand.  The tab that you slide back & forth IS
> the hole that I'm referring to. (I never said the hole was in the actual
> media).  When the tab is moved so that you can see through the CASE of the
> microdisk, then the disk is locked.
>
>						Robert J. Hammen

	No, you don't seem to understand. The CASE does NOT have a hole
in it. No matter where the tab is, you cannot see through the case. I know
what you mean about the holes, but my point was that I think it must be
mechanical rather than optical in nature because of the fact that some
(not all) of my Sony diskettes do not have a hole all the way through.
There is an easy way to check - I could just look at the damned drive
and find out, but I'm too lazy. Besides, ungrounded speculation is fun.

	--MKR

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (02/11/86)

In article <454@mmm.UUCP>, mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) writes:
> In article <597@puff.UUCP> hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:

> >> Then how come my Sony disks work? The write-protect mechanism on those
> >> diskettes doesn't include a hole going through the diskette - there is a
> >> small tab that can be moved back and forth, but you can't see through the
> >> diskette in either mode.
> >>
> >> 	--MKR
> > No, you don't seem to understand.  The tab that you slide back & forth IS
> > the hole that I'm referring to. (I never said the hole was in the actual
> > media).  When the tab is moved so that you can see through the CASE of the
> > microdisk, then the disk is locked.
> >
> >						Robert J. Hammen
>
> 	No, you don't seem to understand. The CASE does NOT have a hole
> in it. No matter where the tab is, you cannot see through the case. I know
> what you mean about the holes, but my point was that I think it must be
> mechanical rather than optical in nature because of the fact that some
> (not all) of my Sony diskettes do not have a hole all the way through.
> There is an easy way to check - I could just look at the damned drive
> and find out, but I'm too lazy. Besides, ungrounded speculation is fun.
>
> 	--MKR
	My reality frame of reference states that the write-protection
scheme on the Mac/Sony 3.5" Single-sided drives is indeed mechanical, not
optical like on many of the older 5.25" and 8" drives that we all know and
don't miss.
	Peter Espen