[net.micro.mac] Pascal compiler for Mac needed

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (T Cox) (02/06/86)

[]
Dear patient netters:

	I need to port some Pascal source from a PC-DOS
environment to the Macintosh.  I do not have a compiler
for pascal -- I have MacPascal, which only interprets.
The goal is to generate a stand-alone program.  Can anyone
recommend a good compiler or two?  The program itself is
fairly trivial:  it converts simultaneously between five
calendar systems, including Julian, Gregorian, Islamic,
Hebrew, and Turko-Mongol.  It's for our Middle East faculty
and students, you see.  In fact, if anyone wants a copy,
I will pass the requests on to the author...

--
T Cox
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn   benn%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (02/12/86)

In article <1598@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (T Cox) writes:
> []
> Dear patient netters:
>
> 	I need to port some Pascal source from a PC-DOS
> environment to the Macintosh.  I do not have a compiler
> for pascal -- I have MacPascal, which only interprets.
> The goal is to generate a stand-alone program.  Can anyone
> recommend a good compiler or two?  The program itself is
> fairly trivial:  it converts simultaneously between five
> calendar systems, including Julian, Gregorian, Islamic,
> Hebrew, and Turko-Mongol.  It's for our Middle East faculty
> and students, you see.  In fact, if anyone wants a copy,
> I will pass the requests on to the author...
>

> --
> T Cox
> ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn   benn%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet

	From what I have seen, the best way to go would be to buy a copy
of the TML System's Pascal compiler for the Mac. It provides a complete
development pascal system for the Mac with access to all Mac toolbox and
OS routines. It even includes interfaces to things such as Graf3d and
Appletalk libraries.
	In addition to the Mac stand alone development facilities, you can
also compile and run Generic Pascal programs without any Mac specific code.
The TML system will take care of all the Mac things and create a TTY window
on the Mac screen for the standard pascal output and uses the Mac keyboard
for the standard pascal input. This feature seems to be what you would need
to minimize the headaches of converting Pascal code to the Mac from another
OS.
	Peter Espen

dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (02/12/86)

In article <1598@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (T Cox) writes:
> []
> Dear patient netters:
>
> 	I need to port some Pascal source from a PC-DOS
> environment to the Macintosh.  I do not have a compiler
> for pascal -- I have MacPascal, which only interprets.
> The goal is to generate a stand-alone program.  Can anyone
> recommend a good compiler or two?  The program itself is
> fairly trivial:  it converts simultaneously between five
> calendar systems, including Julian, Gregorian, Islamic,
> Hebrew, and Turko-Mongol.  It's for our Middle East faculty
> and students, you see.  In fact, if anyone wants a copy,
> I will pass the requests on to the author...

I'm not too sure about this, but I've heard that there a Turbo Pascal
in the works for the Mac, due to be released sometime in the near
future.  If you're looking to port Pascal programs from the PC to the
Mac, having Turbo Pascal on both of them would simplify the
translation process (because, as we all know, not all Pascals are
created equal).  Since the PC version lets you compile to a COM file,
the Mac version would most likely also let you compile to a standalone
executable.  You would probably want to check with Borland about its
availability (if it truly exists).

	David
--
Name: David P. Zimmerman	Nickname: "Davidann" (don't ask)
Cute quote: " (well, *I* think it's cute!)