[net.micro.mac] LaserWriter use with RamStart

frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) (02/12/86)

Hello there. I have the following problem.

Here at CWI we recently obtained a LaserWriter.
In order to make life easier, I tried to use the LW with RamStart.
(by George A. Nelson, 1985, version 1).  I am able to get RamStart
working with a Finder, a System File, MacWrite, and LaserPrep and the
LaserWriter driver on the RamDisc.
Point is, when using the 'Choose Printer' DA to select the LW, an empty
box showes up. Trying to select/deselect AppleTalk, results in a halt of
the machine, all I can do is move the mouse. If I also put the ImageWriter
driver on the RamDisc, then that one does show up.
I tried different sizes of the RamDisc, with and without MacWrite, the Laser
files, etc, but none of them seem to work.
What strikes me as od, is that none of my attempts ended in a system error.

Does anyone have an idee? Does RamStart need to be modified to support
the LW? If so, is such a RamStart available, and where?

Thanks in advance,
--

               Frank
                                                                      ___

rick@ut-ngp.UUCP (Rick Watson) (02/13/86)

re: Laserwriter incompatible with Ram Start.

There is a conflict between the resource id for driver "ramdisk" in
RamStart and ATP in the System (both are id 10). Now before I get flamed
(again) for this, let me explain. RamStart is not "installed" in the
System, so the resource id conflict is not resolved then. Also, RamStart
has code hardwired to use id 10.

The above applies to RamStart version 1. I think that the problem has
been fixed in later versions, but I don't have an executable for
later versions, so I don't really know.

Version 1 can be patched by changing the resource id for the driver and
locating the code that loads the driver.  Sorry, but I don't have the
patches handy. Your best bet is to find a newer version. I would like
one too.

Rick Watson
University of Texas Computation Center
 arpa:   rick@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU   rick@ngp.ARPA
 uucp:   ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!rick   rick@ut-ngp.UUCP
 bitnet: ccaw001@utadnx
 phone:  512/471-3241

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (02/13/86)

In article <966@mcvax.UUCP> frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) writes:

>In order to make life easier, I tried to use the LW with RamStart.
>Point is, when using the 'Choose Printer' DA to select the LW, an empty
>box showes up. Trying to select/deselect AppleTalk, results in a halt of
>the machine, all I can do is move the mouse.
>               Frank

As I understand it, RamStart makes the mac think the RamDisk is on
AppleTalk so the mac probably has a hard time with the real AppleTalk.
The solution is perhaps that a new ramdisk program is needed to get
a ramdisk up in conjunction with AppleTalk - but why is this a
necessity in the first place?  Couldn't you run from a normal floppy?

Steve Leeke