[net.micro.mac] Where did my LW go?

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (02/13/86)

I have the following set up:
   Mac----100' appletalk cable----LW --- IBM AT
The LW spends much of the day in "Special" (diablo emulation)
mode, and every so often I reward it by flicking the switch
to "AppleTalk".

However, the printer isn't there most of the time!  I put up Choose
Printer, and ... nothing!  I toggle the "AppleTalk" setting on C.P.
a few times, and still, no report of any LaserWriters.

I can power the printer off and on but still no report of a printer
on the net--sometimes it works the 1st time, other times it takes
15 minutes.

Questions:
  1. Does anyone else have this phantomness on the net problem?
  2. Is there any DA I can write to try to encourage all available
     printers to respond now?  (I have inside LW, but haven't
     read it...)  I.e., what is necessary to call all printers
     and see if one is alive.
  3. Once I have the LW's attention, is there anything I can do to
     improve it's responsiveness, such as using PostScript to increase
     the frequency at which it announces "I'm here".

Any other pointers would be most appreciated.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

olson@harvard.UUCP (Eric Olson) (02/14/86)

In article <318@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
>I have the following set up:
>   Mac----100' appletalk cable----LW --- IBM AT
>The LW spends much of the day in "Special" (diablo emulation)
>mode, and every so often I reward it by flicking the switch
>to "AppleTalk".
>
>However, the printer isn't there most of the time!  I put up Choose
>Printer, and ... nothing!  I toggle the "AppleTalk" setting on C.P.
>a few times, and still, no report of any LaserWriters.

The laserwriter's DB9 and DB25 connectors are permanently hardwired
together-- changing the switch setting does not switch connectors.  So,
if the AT is on, it is stomping on the appletalk.

Remove the AT cable for the laserwriter to work.

-Eric