[net.micro.mac] System 3.0/FInder V5.1 features?

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (02/13/86)

Well, I've  just received a copy of the new System 3.0 and Finder
V5.1 (thank you,  thank  you!)  and have just begun to experiment
with it.

The most obvious things I've found different are:

o HFS file dialog  boxes  now  show  the  entire  width of folder
names;

o The "scrolling menu" resource is now an official part (but this
one does not seem to show  you  that  there  is 'more available',
while the original resource put a shaded bar at the bottom),

o The control panel shows a RAM  cache (but, even when it's ON, I
don't  seem  to  notice any real difference, and  the  EXTRAs  DA
memory display doesn't seem to show the available RAM going down.
Any ideas?

Over  and above these things, what have the 'rest of  you'  found
new here?

Jeff

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (02/13/86)

In article <1098@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>Well, I've  just received a copy of the new System 3.0 and Finder
>V5.1 (thank you,  thank  you!)  and have just begun to experiment
>with it.
>
>The most obvious things I've found different are:
>
>o The control panel shows a RAM  cache (but, even when it's ON, I
>don't  seem  to  notice any real difference, and  the  EXTRAs  DA
>memory display doesn't seem to show the available RAM going down.
>Any ideas?
>Jeff

The answer is simple - the ram cache does NOT work on ANY mac that has the
old ROMS.  That is, the cache only works on the Mac Plus or Mac's with
the ROM (and hence internal disk) upgrade.

The only real solution is to get a separate ram cache program or for
hard disk users (or those thinking of getting one) there are some that
include a ram cache as part of their system software (at least paradise
does with the Mac 10/20).

Steve Leeke

NO I don't have any ties with ram cache software companies or any
hard disk makers.

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (02/14/86)

In article <1098@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>Well, I've  just received a copy of the new System 3.0 and Finder
>V5.1 (thank you,  thank  you!)  and have just begun to experiment
>with it.
>
>o The control panel shows a RAM  cache (but, even when it's ON, I
>don't  seem  to  notice any real difference, and  the  EXTRAs  DA
>memory display doesn't seem to show the available RAM going down.
>Any ideas?

The RAM caching only works with the new ROMs.  I briefly tried it out and my
initial impression was that it wasn't as efficient as TurboControl, but I
didn't try it a lot and it also may have different priorities as to what it
caches.  Apple has promised information about the caching technique used 'at
a later date.'  A friend of mine with 2M RAM says that it works well with 768K.

Related to this: Finder 5.1 needs a minimum of 192K to run, but apparently
works much better under 256K.  When I run it with 192K in Switcher 4.6 it
does the following strange behaviour: I try to drag some files to a floppy,
and even if there was only one Finder tells me 'Ran out of memory--please
drag the files in separate groups.'  At this point there are no files on the
floppy.  I drag the same group again, and this time it tells me 'Replace
files with the same names?' and when I hit OK 'Couldn't empty trash.'  It
then proceeds to copy the files normally.

Couldn't empty trash suggests File Busy bits to me, and Replace Files...
sounds like they were added to the filelist in memory, not disk.  What gives?

--chris
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton