[net.micro.mac] Mac+ Upgrade query

ching@amd.UUCP (Mike Ching) (02/19/84)

In article <> hogan@rosevax.UUCP (Andy Hogan) writes:
>> The ROM upgrade can only be had with the double-sided disk upgrade.
>> The list price is $299 ...
>
>This may have been discussed before; if so, I missed it.  Why is the
>ROM upgrade tied to upgrading the internal drive to the two-sided
>version?

An Apple spokesman said they were trying to maintain a relatively
uniform environment so that software could assume an 800K drive by
the ROM calls.

I'm not agreeing with him...just paraphrasing.

hal@ecsvax.UUCP (Hal Hunnicutt) (02/12/86)

A question:  Will the ROM upgrade be a complete board swap, or a
simple chip change?  If'n its a board swap, is there anything those
of us with Dr. Dobbs or other 3rd party upgrades can do to get the
new ROMs?

Hal Hunnicutt
hal@ecsvax.UUCP
--
"And a now, the first a rule, of Italian driving:
                            What'sa behind you, is a not important." -Franco

dafa@ihwpt.UUCP (David Fay) (02/13/86)

> A question:  Will the ROM upgrade be a complete board swap, or a
> simple chip change?  If'n its a board swap, is there anything those
> of us with Dr. Dobbs or other 3rd party upgrades can do to get the
> new ROMs?

The ROM upgrade can only be had with the double-sided disk upgrade.
The list price is $299 but I've found a dealer willing to sell it for
$240 in quantity 25. If you buy the Mac+ logic board you must buy the
ROM and DS drive as well. The dealer installs the ROM into your
current 512K board (it will not work with a 128K board). Apple's policy
is to sell this upgrade to all 512K owners whether they have a stock
512K or a third party upgrade. All they want is that you turn in a stock
single-sided drive and stock Apple ROMs. If for some reason you no
longer have the stock ROMs, you've got a problem.
--
--------------------
David Fay

hogan@rosevax.UUCP (Andy Hogan) (02/18/86)

> > A question:  Will the ROM upgrade be a complete board swap, or a
> > simple chip change?  If'n its a board swap, is there anything those
> > of us with Dr. Dobbs or other 3rd party upgrades can do to get the
> > new ROMs?
>
> The ROM upgrade can only be had with the double-sided disk upgrade.
> The list price is $299 ...

This may have been discussed before; if so, I missed it.  Why is the
ROM upgrade tied to upgrading the internal drive to the two-sided
version?  The new ROMs apparently handle external single-sided drives
OK, so why not the old internal as well?  The additional cost of the new
drive makes the total cost very high compared to what the new ROMs
alone should cost.  (I hope very much this is not the reason behind
this, or Apple will lose face once again.)  Not to mention disk hassles
(assuming that not all of my "single-sided" disks will be good enough for
two-sided use.)

I realize the *desirability* of 800K for the internal/usually-system-&-
application disk, but this doesn't mean everyone should have to pay
for a new drive (especially if the old one is still working fine!) in
order to get the new ROMs.  Is there NO benefit to the new ROMs without
larger disk drives?

--
Andy Hogan   Rosemount, Inc.   Mpls MN
path: ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!mmm!rosevax!hogan