[net.micro.mac] RamStart version 1.21 Posted

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (02/17/86)

In article <2954@ut-ngp.UUCP> rick@ut-ngp.UUCP (Rick Watson) writes:

>re: Laserwriter incompatible with Ram Start.
>
>has code hardwired to use id 10.
>
>The above applies to RamStart version 1. I think that the problem has
>been fixed in later versions, but I don't have an executable for
>later versions, so I don't really know.
>
>Version 1 can be patched by changing the resource id for the driver and
>locating the code that loads the driver.  Sorry, but I don't have the
>patches handy. Your best bet is to find a newer version. I would like
>one too.

I'm posting version 1.21 to net.sources.mac.  The help information is
very extensive.  One item: Don't click on the initial alert item
with the version number in it. That attemps to go to Macsbug. Wait
for the dialog box with the size, set, cancel, and help, before clicking on
anything.

For those who haven't used ramstart before:

When run it comes up with a version window, followed by a dialog box.
The dialog box will have a default size in it (probably 320K which is what I
use) which is based on either: what you set it to last, or the
amount of space used by the folder it was launched from, or the amount
of ram left available minus some minimum.

Click on any of the enabled items (size, help, cancel) to modify the
normal procedure (cancel of course cancels).  I recommend you select
help first thing as the author included a LOT of information.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

rick@ut-ngp.UUCP (Rick Watson) (02/19/86)

>I'm posting version 1.21 to net.sources.mac.

Thanks for the posting, Jim.

In order to use version 1.21 with the LaserWriter, you have to change
the driver resource id from 10 to something that is unused in your
system.  I used id 31.  To change the id using ResEdit:
1. Open up RamStart with ResEdit.
2. Open the DRVR window.
3. There will be a driver named .ramdisk.
4. Select .ramdisk and do a Get Info (not Open).
5. Change the id from 10 to 31 (or whatever).
6. Close, saving, etc.

Version 1.21 will work with whatever you set the id to.  I have successfully
printed on the LaserWriter running a system on the ram disk.

The symptom (for me) of having a conflicting id was that launching
RamStart would produce a blank desktop and just hang.

Rick Watson
University of Texas Computation Center
 arpa:   rick@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU   rick@ngp.ARPA
 uucp:   ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!rick   rick@ut-ngp.UUCP