[net.micro.mac] Alphabetical Fonts

tecot@k.cs.cmu.edu (Edward Tecot) (02/12/86)

I took the trouble to deliberately order my fonts and DA's by copying them
into the system file in reverse order.  My problem is that I can't delete
Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco, so they appear at the bottom of the font list.
Does anyone know of a way to "move" these so they appear in the appropriate
place?

--

						_emt
-----

"They pelted us with rocks and garbage!"

aks@umcp-cs.UUCP (02/16/86)

In article <743@k.cs.cmu.edu> tecot@k.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
>I took the trouble to deliberately order my fonts and DA's by copying them
>into the system file in reverse order.  My problem is that I can't delete
>Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco, so they appear at the bottom of the font list.
>Does anyone know of a way to "move" these so they appear in the appropriate
>place?
>						_emt

I believe that the program "Font Librarian" is available, and can do what
you want.  It has an option to override the system restrictions on those fonts.
I think it's available in "net.sources.mac" (somewhere).

--

Alan K. Stebbens   (aks@acc-sb-unix.ARPA, aks@acc.ARPA, aks@mimsy.umd.edu)

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (02/18/86)

Try using  the  ResEdit program, rather than the Font/DA Mover to
remove the protected,  "system"  fonts.    While  I haven't tried
this, I suspect that it will work.

Jeff

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (02/20/86)

>>I took the trouble to deliberately order my fonts and DA's by copying them
>>into the system file in reverse order.  My problem is that I can't delete
>>Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco, so they appear at the bottom of the font list.
>>Does anyone know of a way to "move" these so they appear in the appropriate
>>place?
>>						_emt
>
>I believe that the program "Font Librarian" is available, and can do what
>you want.  It has an option to override the system restrictions on those fonts.
>I think it's available in "net.sources.mac" (somewhere).

The recently posted "Menu Sort" application seems to be a better approach.  It
installs a resource into your system file to automatically sort all fonts and
DAs, so that the problem is solved forever.  Not only does it take care of the
above problem, but when fonts or DAs are added, they are sorted in properly.
Check recent postings in net.sources.mac (recent means within the last week!)

And MANY thanks to Andy Hertzfield for this great goodie!

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.