From: Jeff Shulman (Moderator)
Subject: Administrativia - New name & TechNotes
Date: 23-FEB 11:33

This digest has been renamed to "Delphi Mac Digest" to better reflect what
it contains.  It is posted to net.micro.mac on Usenet and archived
on <INFO-MAC> on Sumex.  Arpanet readers may directly subscribe to this
digest by sending a message to:	DELPHI-MAC-DIGEST-REQUEST@RUTGERS

I would also like to remind readers that the Apple TechNotes are being made
available to Arpanet and Usenet readers.  Arpanet readers may obtain the
notes from the <INFO-MAC> directory on Sumex.  Usenet readers may obtain
them through the following redistribution sites (pick the one closest to
you):

	packard!ihnp4!ihuxo!pvp
	mcvax!frankk
	russes%cygnus.DEC@decwrl,
	davidk%amber%dartmouth@csnet-relay
	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay
	seismo!cvl!tk@topaz
	ihnp4!cbdkc1!gwe@topaz

My thanks to these people for volunteering as redistribution sites.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (5960)
Subject: Silly Time Again
Date: 16-FEB 14:09 Bugs & Features

After my adventure with odd files dealing in dental work, I'm almost
hesitant to ask (grin), but:

Last evening I was installing and trying some new DA's.  All was going
fine ( except that I discovered that the DA "Monkey" is not good for
people who like to maintain some sense of sanity).  However, when I
installed the last DA, the new HFS Mockwrite, my system folder
suddenly inflated to extreme proportions....to almost 4 meg (on an
HD20)!  Removing the DA (in fact, nearly all of them) had no effect
other than to decrease the size by a normal amount....a bare bones
file was still 3 1/2 meg.  I finally removed the entire Sys Folder and
replaced it, re-added the fonts and DA's (except Mockwrite), and it is
only 500K or so.  Any ideas on what happened? Thanks, Alf.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6039)
Subject: Re: RAM disks and LaserWriter
Date: 17-FEB 10:07 Mousing Around

Jeff, in response to the discussion about RAM disks and the LaserWriter, I
believe that the Assimilation RAM disk usually allows the LW to be run from the
RAM disk, unlike most other implementations.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6040)
Subject: RE: Doubling your Sony Floppies (Re: Msg 6018)
Date: 17-FEB 10:09 Hardware & Peripherals

We tried a Kodak single-sided floppy in a Mac Plus yesterday, using it
moderately as a double-sided disk.  The only problem we noticed was
that it took _longer_ to copy files from the double-sided disk to a
HD20 than from a single-sided disk! (substantially longer, timed as
part of our Mac Plus benchmarks - 67 sec. vs. 50 sec. for single
sided).  Anyone got an explanation for this?

Ric

------------------------------

From: RSTICKLE (6184)
Subject: RE: Doubling your Sony Floppies (Re: Msg 5985)
Date: 23-FEB 10:03 Hardware & Peripherals

I haven't looked that closly yet, what would be a help would be a test program.
I had one that would read and write to each sector and print out any bad
sectors, that was for my old computer.  If someone with a MAC+ could write one
it would be a big help to everyone.  The kinnd I had was used after
initialization and before puting data on the disk because it is a destructive
test. --Rick--

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6095)
Subject: Re: How to save PostScript files on the Mac
Date: 19-FEB 11:06 Mousing Around

Hold down CMD-F just after saying OK in a LaserWriter print dialog
box.  It'll give you a PostScript file instead of printing.  I'm not
sure what the implications of LaserPrep are for this person.  As I
understand it, Laser Prep' is a PostScript program that's downloaded
to the LaserWriter where it sits and converts QuickDraw calls to
PostScript commands.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (6101)
Subject: Laser Printers
Date: 19-FEB 22:07 Hardware & Peripherals

I just tried out a Talaris 820 printer.  It is claimed to be 100%
laserwriter compatable and costs thousands of dollars less.  Using the
same disk with no changes whatsoever, I printed a few MacDraw
documents with both the 820 and with a real Laserwriter.  Except for
the Laserwriter documents having slightly more contrast - probably a
simple adjustment as they both use the Cannon engine - the results
were the same, but the 820 took 20-25% less time to print complex
documents.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6127)
Subject: Mac Plus floppy disk performance
Date: 20-FEB 23:39 Macintosh In Fact

We have been performing some benchmarks on the Mac Plus, and one very
odd result occurred: We found copying a set of files from a
single-sided floppy (internal floppy drive) to the HD20 was FASTER
than copying the same set of files from a double-sided floppy!
Anybody got an explanation for this one?  Anyone got a Mac Plus who'd
like to check our results? (Peter...)

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6129)
Subject: RE: Mac Plus floppy disk performance (Re: Msg 6127)
Date: 20-FEB 23:57 Macintosh In Fact

Ric,
Try formatting an HFS 400K floppy and compare the performance.  I suspect that
the difference in performance has something to do with extra processing of the
HFS folders when opening the files.

To format a 400K floppy as HFS, hold down the option key when you
press OK after entering the name of the volume at the end of disk
initialization.

peter

------------------------------

From: MARSHG (6178)
Subject: TEIdle blinks through menu bar
Date: 22-FEB 22:39 Programming

I have a DA with a modeless dialog that has a few edittext items in
it. The DA has dNeedTime set and calls TEIdle at each accrun control
call with the port set to the dialog's window.  The TEHandle passed to
TEIdle is the TEHandle in the dialog record.  Things work just fine
until I pull down a menu on top of the edittext item.  When I make a
selection from the menu, while the menu manager blinks the selection,
the text insertion point blinks through to the menu.  Can somebody
tell me what's going on here?  Marsh Gosnell

End of Delphi Digest