[net.micro.mac] HFS and MacWorks XL

wayne@motatl.UUCP (R.W.McGee) (02/17/86)

Anyone tried to put the HFS on a Macintosh XL yet?
I haved asked 6 people and gotten 6 different answers as
to how they 'think' it should be done. They range from
just copying the system and finder files over , to doing
exotic surgery using Resedit. Anyone know for sure?
Here's hoping for a reply.
wayne

hammen@gumby.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (02/20/86)

In article <158@motatl.UUCP>, wayne@motatl.UUCP (R.W.McGee) writes:
> Anyone tried to put the HFS on a Macintosh XL yet?
> I haved asked 6 people and gotten 6 different answers as
> to how they 'think' it should be done. They range from
> just copying the system and finder files over , to doing
> exotic surgery using Resedit. Anyone know for sure?
> Here's hoping for a reply.
> wayne

	Well, as far as I know (and I could be wrong, because I have been
before) there is no real way to run true HFS on the Lisa.  I've played
around with two of ours, a Lisa 2/5 and an X/Lisa, trying to see if I could
install HFS.  Booting off a floppy and attempting to initialize the Profile
by doing an "Erase Disk" resulted in an "initialization failed!" message.
Undaunted, I reformatted the hard disk w/Hard Disk Install and dragged the
new system/finder onto it.  I got the same thing you get when you try to
run HFS off a 400K disk: a flat (MFS) file system.  It's my speculation
(and speculation ONLY) that you need either a)a new ROM (in other words,
a new MacWorks XL) or b)some form of patch to the standard system software,
like the "Hard Disk 20" file that you need(ed?) to use the HD20 on a 512K
Mac.  Whether Apple will provide these to us orphans remains to be seen.
So if you want HFS on your Lisa, make enough noise to Apple and maybe it
will happen.  (I'm still a tad skeptical of Apple's Lisa "Support"-trade in
for a Mac Plus/HD20 for Lisa and $1500-when one can pick up just the Mac
Plus for $1300-$1600.)

				Robert J. Hammen
				U. of Wisc. CS Dept.
				U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.
				Manta Software Corp.
				{ihnp4, seismo, allegra}!uwvax!puff!hammen
							      !gumby!hammen

 Life....don't talk to me about life.......

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (02/24/86)

>will happen.  (I'm still a tad skeptical of Apple's Lisa "Support"-trade in
>for a Mac Plus/HD20 for Lisa and $1500-when one can pick up just the Mac
>Plus for $1300-$1600.)

Amen, brother.
  ...Larry Mazlack
     mazlack@berkeley.edu