[net.micro.mac] MacTerminal 2.0 is here

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (02/09/86)

Well I got my free upgrade to MacTerminal 2.0 today.

The improvements:

Transfer protocols are more flexible and provide:
	1) Plain text with delays between chars and lines.
	2) MacBinary mode Xmodem
	3) XModem Text makes cr-lf pairs outbound, strips lf's inbound
	4) MacTerminal1.1 mode ( non-standard Xmodem )
	5) Standard Xmodem
Only mode 4 uses the non-standard Xmodem self initiating, the rest require you
to select receive file, which brings up an SFPutFile Dialog.

A menu allows you to switch backspace and delete on the backspace key.

Better emulation of the vt102. Still can't do character insert, but it does
insert lines better.

Has a complete selection of international character and graphics sets to
choose between.

The wait for call appears to work, and default answer mode is 0 (don't).

The non-improvements:

Like I said character delete still doesn't work.

They still ship it with the stupid command shift ~ to generate a '~'.  I
patched mine immediately as follows:

Using Resedit open Macterminal, open KICH ID=256.  Near the bottom you will
find:

	1B 90 1B 7E  1B 60 1B 7E
	1B 90 1B 7E  1B 60 1B 7E

change this to:

	1B 60 1B 7E  1B 60 7E 7E
	1B 60 7E 7E  7E 60 7E 7E

Save.

This results in:

	SHIFT-` = ~	whatever other modifier keys are pressed.
	COMMAND-` = `	in combination with any other modifiers EXCEPT shift.

	` alone or with CAPS-LOCK, OPTION, or both generates an escape.

This seems much easier to me.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

In article <9313@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:

>They still ship it with the stupid command shift ~ to generate a '~'.  I
>patched mine immediately as follows:
>
>Using Resedit open Macterminal, open KICH ID=256.  Near the bottom you will
>find:
>
>	1B 90 1B 7E  1B 60 1B 7E
>	1B 90 1B 7E  1B 60 1B 7E
           ^^ ERROR!!!!
Sorry. Make that:
	1B 60 1B 7E  1B 60 1B 7E
	1B 60 1B 7E  1B 60 1B 7E

--

leeke@cascade.ARPA (02/11/86)

In article <9313@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:

>Well I got my free upgrade to MacTerminal 2.0 today.

Could you mention where you got the upgrade?  Of the dealers I have
called in the Bay Area (several, but certainly a small percentage of
the total) all have claimed total ignorance of receiving any update.

Steve Leeke
leeke@su-cascade.arpa

sam@ccitv3.UUCP (02/11/86)

> Well I got my free upgrade to MacTerminal 2.0 today.
>
> The improvements:
>
> Transfer protocols are more flexible and provide:
> 	1) Plain text with delays between chars and lines.
> 	2) MacBinary mode Xmodem
> 	3) XModem Text makes cr-lf pairs outbound, strips lf's inbound
> 	4) MacTerminal1.1 mode ( non-standard Xmodem )
> 	5) Standard Xmodem
> Only mode 4 uses the non-standard Xmodem self initiating, the rest require you
> to select receive file, which brings up an SFPutFile Dialog.

Sounds great.  Thanx mucho for the info.  One quick question remains.  When
using Compuserve (MACUS) and the 'dow name/proto:xmodem' command from the
data libraries; does this correspond to selection 5 above, or is it (2)?
Many thanx.

Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY

maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) (02/11/86)

I got my MacTerminal 2.0 at the Computer Plus in San Jose.  It took the
manager a few minutes to find it, but he eventually did and I copied it
with no problems.

PS: You must bring in your original MacTerminal master disk.
--
  Bill Arnett             		{ucbvax,nsc}!tolerant!maddog
  Tolerant Systems, Inc. San Jose

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (02/17/86)

In article <389@ccivax.UUCP> sam@ccitv3.UUCP writes:
>> 	2) MacBinary mode Xmodem
>> 	5) Standard Xmodem
>> Only mode 4 uses the non-standard Xmodem self initiating, the rest require you
>> to select receive file, which brings up an SFPutFile Dialog.
>>
>Sounds great.  Thanx mucho for the info.  One quick question remains.  When
>using Compuserve (MACUS) and the 'dow name/proto:xmodem' command from the
>data libraries; does this correspond to selection 5 above, or is it (2)?
>Many thanx.

Well I've used MacBinary mode (2) on MAUG and it works fine.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 (408) 749-5806
 Usenet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb
 Compuserve:	72415,1200

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (02/25/86)

Thanks, Jim, for the synopsis of features in MacTerminal 2.0.  I wondered
just how many features/fixes they finally got around to doing.

Now seriously, don't you think its time to toss out that puppy and pick up
Versaterm 2.0.  I know MacT. was free and Versa's another $99, but from
the list of features you posted, it'll be money well spent.

( Of course no affiliation with Versaterm's creator or distributor except
  continued awe and amazement at what a fine program and incredible buy it is.)

P.S. Brian, you're right.  Versaterm 2.0 is a lot of new features over 1.5x
     Now if only it supported continous downloading under switcher!

--
Time for a new catchy phrase in my                           Howard C. Simonson
 .signature, now if I could only     ...{dragon,hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ Opinion? What opinion.  I think you have the wrong guy... ]

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (02/25/86)

In article <2839@amdahl.UUCP> howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) writes:
>Thanks, Jim, for the synopsis of features in MacTerminal 2.0.  I wondered
>just how many features/fixes they finally got around to doing.
>
>Now seriously, don't you think its time to toss out that puppy and pick up
>Versaterm 2.0.  I know MacT. was free and Versa's another $99, but from
>the list of features you posted, it'll be money well spent.

Free???? I paid $99 for it. About six or eight months before Versaterm
existed.  I am also a MacTerminal evangelist. I like it.

P.S. One other thing:  The whirling of the drives periodically appears to be
gone.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 (408) 749-5806
 Usenet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb
 Compuserve:	72415,1200

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (02/25/86)

>P.S. One other thing:  The whirling of the drives periodically appears to be
>gone.

Did I really say that???

Try this :

The periodic saves to disk, even when not recording off the top, appears to
be gone.