[net.micro.mac] MacTerminal File Transfer Speed

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (02/25/86)

With all this discussion in info-mac and net.micro.mac about
the "real" speed of various terminal emulators, I decided to
run a simple test.  I transferred a large file from a Wang
PC to a Mac and timed the transfer.

The line speed was 19,200 bps.  The machines were set for
8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.  The file was 174,080
bytes in MacBinary format.  The sending program was "ic",
a VT-100 emulator package, running off a 20meg winchester.
The receiving program was MacTerminal 2.0, running on a HyperDrive.
The transfer was timed with the Mac alarm clock, which stops
updating while a transfer is in progress.

Elapsed time for the transfer was 7:18 (438 seconds).
174080 bytes * 10 bits/byte / 438 seconds = 3974 bps.
(10 bits per byte = 8 data bits + 1 start bit + 1 stop bit).

Allowing 10% xmodem protocol overhead (a generous allowance)
raises the line usage to about 4370 bps or 23%.

I'm not impressed.  Anyone care to try it with two Macs?

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (02/27/86)

In article <765@wang.UUCP> ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) writes:
>the line speed was 19,200 bps.
Can your machine really sustain 19.2kbps output?  Many can't.

>174080 bytes * 10 bits/byte / 438 seconds = 3974 bps.
>
>Allowing 10% xmodem protocol overhead (a generous allowance)
>raises the line usage to about 4370 bps or 23%.

This about matches the performance I saw at 9600 baud from a Vax to a
RamDisk.  The Vax CAN sustain 9600, so I expect that this is about
MacTerminal's maximum data rate.  I'll try it at home (at 4800 baud) and
see if it goes down any.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)