[net.micro.mac] Shirt Pocket

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (02/28/86)

In article <772@ism780c.UUCP> Tim Smith says:
> In article <2585@reed.UUCP> bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) writes:
> >
> >Anyone who carries 3.5s around in their pants pocket deserves whatever
> >happens to the things.  One would need a STEEL case to make it safe to
> >SIT ON the things...  In fact, if one does break one of those hard cases,
>
> I meant the _front_ pocket, not the back pocket.  I rarely sit on my front
> pockets.  I suppose if one were small enough, the curvature of the body
> near the front pocket would be enough to bend the disks, but I have had
> too many pizzas for that to happen to my disks! :-)

I'm so embarrassed!  This is REALLY obvious, unless one happens to be in
an environment where shirt pockets are a rarity...  such as a small
sixtiesish private college.  My apologies...

Of course punched cards were designed based on the size of shirt pocket
popular at the time they were first used (by Herman Hollerith in a census
a long time ago) which in turn was based on the size of the dollar bill
at the time.  And in fact, punched cards still fit ok in shirt pockets
(a little tall, maybe).  So maybe we should use them on the next popular
micro!...  :-) :-) :-) :-) <:-) ...  (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... no,
"NO, NOT *THE SOFT CUSHIONS*!!!!!"* )

* of course this quote is copyright Monty Python, but please, guys, don't
sue me!!!  I didn't really pirate it, honest!  I just turned around, and
vi had typed it for me...

--
					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!reed!bart