[net.micro.mac] Query on Mac XL compatibility with new ROMs, sys 3.0

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (02/26/86)

Does anyone know if I can safely install System 3.0 and Finder 5.1 on my Mac
XL under MacWorks 3.0 ?  If I can, will the cachwork or is it just window
dressing w/o the new ROMs? Speaking of which, will there ever be a MacWorks
of the new ROMs? How about hard disk support off the parallel port?

BTW that Mac's for sale. See net.forsale...

Thanks
/Alexis

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (02/28/86)

In article <225@ccnysci.UUCP>, alexis@ccnysci.UUCP writes:
> Does anyone know if I can safely install System 3.0 and Finder 5.1 on my Mac
> XL under MacWorks 3.0 ?  If I can, will the cachwork or is it just window
> dressing w/o the new ROMs? Speaking of which, will there ever be a MacWorks
> of the new ROMs? How about hard disk support off the parallel port?
>
> BTW that Mac's for sale. See net.forsale...
>
> Thanks
> /Alexis
	Well, I think it's safe.  Although I have only been running with 5.1/3.0
on my hard disk since its crash early Mon. morning, I have experienced no
problems whatsoever (and it's been used extensively ~15-18 hours/day).  I don't
think that the cache will work on any machine without the new ROMs.  If all the
Lisa owners pressure hard enough, Apple may just do a new MacWorks (especially
if the old one is as buggy as it's reported to be regarding hard disks).  I for
one am not gonna keep quiet while Apple tries to forget our existence.  Speak up X/Lisa owners!  It's the only chance that we have to avoid obsolescence.
					Robert J. Hammen
					U of Wisc. CS Dept.
					U of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.
					Manta Software Corp.
					{ihnp4,seismo,allegra}!uwvax!puff!hammen								   !gumby!hammen					hammen@gumby.wisc.edu
					hammen@puff.wisc.edu
					AT&T: (608)251-2846
					BBS #: (715)832-7420
					US SNAIL: 45 N. Orchard St.
						   Madison WI 53715

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (Martin Resnick) (03/01/86)

> Does anyone know if I can safely install System 3.0 and Finder 5.1 on my Mac
> XL under MacWorks 3.0 ?  If I can, will the cachwork or is it just window
> dressing w/o the new ROMs? Speaking of which, will there ever be a MacWorks
> of the new ROMs? How about hard disk support off the parallel port?

Finder 5.1 will work fine on an XL.  System 3.0 will also appear to work fine
until you try to initialize a floppy!  As long as you can initialize your
floppies on another Mac, you can use System 3.0.  You can use Finder 5.1
without System 3.0.

Apple knows about this bug and it will be fixed in System 3.1.

The cache works only on the new ROMS.

A new version of MacWorks is rumored to be in the works.  It is supposed
to support HFS, 800K drives, and the cache.