From: RICKLEPAGE (6188)
Subject: Silicon Press
Date: 23-FEB 12:38 Business Mac

Wae got a copy of Silicon Press for review the other day, and while I haven't
had a chance to run it through the complete wringer, I have been fairly
impressed with what I have seen so far.

Basically, SP is a labeling/card printing program.  You set up a
design, using graphics, text, fields; set up your page layout using
that design (labels (1,2,whatever across), rolodex cards, etc.); set
up a data window containing your merge text, and print away.  It will
print out on the ImageWriter (I and II), LaserWriter, or any
dot-matrix printer - using the IW II, it will print out in color!

It is very slick.  Your data window is set up the same way you set up
a MS-Word merge file, so you can use those files, MS-File data files,
or any database that can create a text-only report file. It will also
read OverVUE files directly (!), bypassing the need to create TO
files.  You can even set up floating fields, whereby fields without
information are scrapped in a label, without having a gaping hole.

I know a lot of people (including us) have gone through a lot of gyrations
trying to efficiently create labels, index cards, etc., and now have a complex,
but workable format for printing them.  But at $80, this might be a good answer
to the aforementioned problems.

I did have one bug, printing labels out on the LaserWriter from OverVUE.  I
think it was probably due to the size of my OverVUE file (500K - 2500 records).
I am gonna play with it more to see about max data file sizes, and will report
on them when I get some more concrete info. If there is any interest, I'll put
our review in the databases here when we go to press in March.

As they say elsewhere, the usual disclaimers apply.  My only interest is that
the program works as advertised -  it looks like it does.

Rick LePage
"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: DWB (6229)
Subject: SF{Get,Put}File programming
Date: 24-FEB 22:38 Programming

As promised here is the info I discovered on how to set the new HFS Standard
File Package to start at a specified directory in a volume:

#define sfSaveDisk      (*(short *) 0x214)
#define CurDirStore     (*(long *) 0x398)

        /*
        * PresetSF(vRefNum, dirID)
        *       vRefNum is a true vRefNum, not a wdRefNum
        *       dirID is a directory ID
        */
PresetSF(vRefNum, dirID)
        short vRefNum;
        int dirID;
{
        sfSaveDisk = -vRefNum;          /* that's right, -vRefNum */
        CurDirStore = dirID;            /* dirId = 2 if vRefNum is MFS */
}

Note that sfSaveDisk is set to the negative of the vRefNum.  If vRefNum refers
to a MFS volume or if you want to start at the root of an HFS volume pass 2 as
dirID.

It might also be useful to note that since these features are not documented
they may or may not be supported in future release of the software.  I don't
know of anywhere that sfSaveDisk is documented although it does appear in
SysEqu.  CurDirStore is mentioned in the HFS programmers package as containing
the dirID of the current directory.  No value for it is given however.  I am
making a rather bold assumption based on disassembly of the SF Package that the
value I found is really CurDirStore and not something else.  This stuff does
seem to work with Finder5.0 and System2.2 (the ones distributed with HFS PP)

Good Luck,

David Scott

------------------------------

From: INTECO (6240)
Subject: Control in Dialog
Date: 26-FEB 18:18 Programming

I have a problem: I am usin a scroll bar in a dialog but I cannot arrange
continous scrolling. After the DialogSelect call and TrackControl I get
obviously no further events (for StllDown). Can someone help.

ugo

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (6273)
Subject: RE: Memory initialization; crash recovery.
Date: 28-FEB 04:25 Mousing Around

After memory is sized and tested, the 64K ROM startup code writes -1 to the
first 128K of RAM; the 128K ROM writes -1 to all of RAM.

I never ExitToShell after a crash unless it was my program that
crashed and I'm confident that no system data structures were damaged.
I use a hard disk, and I don't want to risk its corruption.

A frozen mouse is caused by:  closing the ROM serial driver; a write to the
wrong place in I/O space; or disabled interrupts.

End of Delphi Digest