[net.micro.mac] Errors in new hardbound Inside Macintosh

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (02/24/86)

I just read the File System section of the hardbound Inside Macintosh (comb. 3
vols.) and I noticed that there were a bunch of errors. It looks like two pages
of information are gone. First, in the section on high-level routines, the page
that starts off describing FSOpen, II - 91, is actually a duplicate of page
II - 73, which is part of the OS Event Manager. Second (and this I'm not sure
about) a page describing the bits in ioFlAttrib seems to be missing; there's
nothing in its place. This is following page II - 101.

If I am right about the missing page 101.5, could someone please post the
correct list of bit masks for ioFlAttrib (and any other info from the missing
page)? I'm not too concerned about the first one (easy to figure out).

Thanks
/Alexis
...!ihnp4!physics!ccnysci!alexis

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (02/26/86)

In article <224@ccnysci.UUCP>, alexis@ccnysci.UUCP writes:
> I just read the File System section of the hardbound Inside Macintosh (comb. 3
> vols.) and I noticed that there were a bunch of errors. It looks like two pages
> of information are gone. First, in the section on high-level routines, the page
> that starts off describing FSOpen, II - 91, is actually a duplicate of page
> II - 73, which is part of the OS Event Manager.

Those who got a Free INSIDE MAC because they subscribed to the supplement,
also get a nice letter about 3 weeks later saying "We're, sorry, II-91
is screwed up, here's the replacement..."

It might be nice if this were available on-line.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

matt@srs.UUCP (02/27/86)

> that starts off describing FSOpen, II - 91, is actually a duplicate of page
> II - 73, which is part of the OS Event Manager. Second (and this I'm not sure

We just got the real page II-91 from A-W.  Not sure about the other
possible error mentioned...

						Matt Goheen
						S.R. Systems
				    {seismo,allegra}!rochester!srs!matt

berner@Navajo.ARPA (William Berner) (02/28/86)

In article <350@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:

>Those who got a Free INSIDE MAC because they subscribed to the supplement,
>also get a nice letter about 3 weeks later saying "We're, sorry, II-91
>is screwed up, here's the replacement..."
>
>It might be nice if this were available on-line.
>--
This page is archived as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>INSIDEMACPAGEII-91.TXT.

I've also posted it to net.sources.

+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  Bill Berner			ARPA: berner@su-score.arpa	|
|  School of Engineering					|
|  Stanford University		UUCP: !glacier!navajo!berner	|
|  Stanford, CA  94305 USA					|
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+

stevo@ucrmath.UUCP (Steve Groom) (03/01/86)

> I just read the File System section of the hardbound Inside Macintosh (comb. 3
> vols.) and I noticed that there were a bunch of errors. It looks like two pages

One more problem to add to the list....
Those of us who received the hardbound edition of Inside Mac have another
problem to deal with... the index at the end of the book has been truncated
somewhere in the middle of the t's! Any help likely with _that_ one?

Steve Groom
Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science
U of California, Riverside

UUCP {ucbvax!ucdavis,ucla-cs}!ucrmath!stevo

custead@sask.UUCP (Der cuss) (03/03/86)

>> Those who got a Free INSIDE MAC because they subscribed to the supplement,

You are lucky!  We bought the supplement at the original price of $150 (US)
in the belief that this would include a hardbound version of Inside Mac
when it was published.  After 3 phone calls and a letter to Apple Canada,
I got a form letter saying that for another $ 30, Inside Mac could be mine.
(Offer expires February 28 --- guess when the letter arrived!)

						Larry R. Custead
						Univ of Saskatchewan
						ihnp4!sask!custead
						Bitnet: custead@sask