[net.micro.mac] MacPascal won't go where it belongs

diamond@andromeda.UUCP (Robert Diamond) (02/20/86)

Dear MacAbby,

I (accidentally) moved the MacPascal icon off the disk directory area and on
to the desktop.  Now there it sits, and whenever I try to move it back to where
it belongs (or anywhere that's not actually on the grey desktop) I get a
chastising "Cannot be moved or duplicated" message. I know it won't hurt
anything being there, but it IS annoying.
                        Signed,
                         Chained to the desk.

      allegra  \  pyramid \       Rob Diamond, Rutgers Newark - CS Dept.
      harvard   \          \      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       seismo    > !topaz   > !andromeda!diamond
     ut-sally   /          /
       sri-iu  /    pyrnj /              "You can't have everything -
ihnp4!packard /                             Where would you put it?"

olson@harvard.UUCP (Eric Olson) (02/21/86)

In article <93@andromeda.UUCP> diamond@andromeda.UUCP (Robert Diamond) writes:

>I (accidentally) moved the MacPascal icon off the disk directory area and on
>to the desktop. Now there it sits, and whenever I try to move it back to where
>it belongs (or anywhere that's not actually on the grey desktop) I get a
>chastising "Cannot be moved or duplicated" message. I know it won't hurt
>anything being there, but it IS annoying.

This is because the PROTECTED bit is set in the file's attribute bits.
It can be changed with SetFile or FEdit.  You may have to set it on
again if MacPascal checks it before allowing you to run the program.

Protected bit means that the file cannot be dragged, renamed (I think),
deleted, or duplicated.  Apparently dragging from a window onto the
desktop is permitted.

-Eric.

allison@convexs.UUCP (02/24/86)

>> I (accidentally) moved the MacPascal icon off the disk directory area and on
>> to the desktop. Now there it sits, and whenever I try to move it back to
>> where it belongs (or anywhere that's not actually on the grey desktop) I get
>> a chastising "Cannot be moved or duplicated" message. I know it won't hurt
>> anything being there, but it IS annoying.
>
> This is because the PROTECTED bit is set in the file's attribute bits.
> It can be changed with SetFile or FEdit.  You may have to set it on
> again if MacPascal checks it before allowing you to run the program.
>
> Protected bit means that the file cannot be dragged, renamed (I think),
> deleted, or duplicated.  Apparently dragging from a window onto the
> desktop is permitted.

This is what the "put back" option in finder 1.1g was for.  The new finder
SHOULD be smart enough to figure out that the program is already on the
disc, but it isn't.  I suspect the "put back" option was removed for this
reason, but someone forgot to make the new finder smart enough.  So, you
might try using a 1.1g finder to put the icon back (if you don't have SetFile
or FEdit).

Brian Allison         {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!allison
Convex Computer Corp.
Richardson, TX

hill@siemens.UUCP (03/05/86)

Under Finder 1.1, use the Put Back option under the File Menu.  Later
versions of the Finder don't have this, though.