[net.micro.mac] customizing >5.0 Finders

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (02/27/86)

The new finders have a new resource in them called LAYO which I believe stands
for Layout. The newest version of ResEdit has a template for LAYO's and you can
therefore customize the layout of your finder there.
Among other things it will let you set:
-Icon grid spacing (for large and small icon modes)
-Icon grid phase (for a staggered grid, this is great for making the icons
      closer together and staggered so the text doesn't overlap.
-Font style and size
-Window zooming rectangles (turning off speeds up window opening)
-tabs for window headers
-default window size and position
-other window parameters

t-jacobs@utah-cbd

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (03/03/86)

> The new finders have a new resource in them called LAYO which I believe stands
> for Layout. The newest version of ResEdit has a template for LAYO's and you can
> therefore customize the layout of your finder there.
> Among other things it will let you set:
> -Icon grid phase (for a staggered grid, this is great for making the icons
>       closer together and staggered so the text doesn't overlap.

I tried customizing grid phase, and found that "Clean Up" was broken.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it hung.  It probably hasn't been tested
extensively with non-zero phase settings.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/05/86)

In article <768@wang.UUCP> ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) writes:
>> The new finders have a new resource in them called LAYO which I believe stands
>> for Layout. The newest version of ResEdit has a template for LAYO's and you can
>> therefore customize the layout of your finder there.
>> Among other things it will let you set:
>> -Icon grid phase (for a staggered grid, this is great for making the icons
>>       closer together and staggered so the text doesn't overlap.
>
>I tried customizing grid phase, and found that "Clean Up" was broken.
>Sometimes it worked, sometimes it hung.  It probably hasn't been tested
>extensively with non-zero phase settings.

I tried this also.  A vertical phase of 32 hung.  I now use a vertical phase
of 16.  It has never hung on me.  Works fine, I love it.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) (03/06/86)

>I tried customizing grid phase, and found that "Clean Up" was broken.
>Sometimes it worked, sometimes it hung.  It probably hasn't been tested
>extensively with non-zero phase settings.

I had the same trouble.  Turning off zoom rectangles worked though.
--
  Bill Arnett             		{ucbvax,nsc}!tolerant!maddog
  Tolerant Systems, Inc. San Jose