[net.micro.mac] 16-bit Apple //ce

nate@isosvax.UUCP (02/21/86)

Feb. 17 issue of InfoWorld has article stating that Apple, Inc. is
shipping a the new Apple //, based on the 65C816(8/16 bit 6502) micro-
processor, to developers. The system is code named "Gumby".

Not only is this system compatible with all Apple // software, also the
65C816 supposedly has a 68000 emulation mode which will allow the system
to execute Macintosh software. The system is being shipped with 3 1/2"
media.

Has anyone else on the net heard anything about this system? Earliest
availability? Price? Other features?

david@sun.uucp (David DiGiacomo) (03/06/86)

In article <266@isosvax.UUCP> nate@isosvax.UUCP (Nate LeSane) writes:
>Feb. 17 issue of InfoWorld has article stating that Apple, Inc. is
>shipping a the new Apple //, based on the 65C816(8/16 bit 6502) micro-
>processor, to developers. The system is code named "Gumby".
>
>Not only is this system compatible with all Apple // software, also the
>65C816 supposedly has a 68000 emulation mode which will allow the system
>to execute Macintosh software. The system is being shipped with 3 1/2"
>media.

This is typical Infoworld idiocy.  The 65C816 emulates the 6502, not
the 68000.

--
David DiGiacomo  {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax}!sun!david  david@sun.arpa
Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  (415) 960-7495

ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (03/07/86)

> In article <266@isosvax.UUCP> nate@isosvax.UUCP (Nate LeSane) writes:
> >
> >Not only is this system compatible with all Apple // software, also the
> >65C816 supposedly has a 68000 emulation mode which will allow the system
> >to execute Macintosh software. The system is being shipped with 3 1/2"
> >media.
>
> This is typical Infoworld idiocy.  The 65C816 emulates the 6502, not
> the 68000.
>
> --
> David DiGiacomo  {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax}!sun!david  david@sun.arpa
> Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  (415) 960-7495
The 65816 may not have a built in 68000 emulation mode, but what is to stop
one from writing a 68000 emulator in software on the 65816? I wrote a 6502
emulator to run on a 3b20, and probably could do it the othewr way around, too,
if one could accept an execution speed of 1 ins./sec or so:-).

Earle A. Sugar
Disclaimer:"Nobody else here at JHU ever agrees with my opinions"
          USENET: ...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aeas
          CSNET:ins_aeas@jhunix.csnet
          ARPA:ins_aeas%jhunix.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	  BITNET: INS_BEAS@JHUVMS (as a last resort)
	or call 301-889-0815 after 6 P.M. EST
This month's wise advice:
"Don't step on anyone on your way up the ladder; you might meet them
on the way back down"