[net.micro.mac] RR 7.0 does not work with Mac+

dk@sal.UUCP (Danny Kohn) (03/08/86)

My RedRyder 7.0 crashes when I use it togehter with my updated
Mac+ system. Does anyone know any way to fix this problem?

I am (was) using RR very much (I have a license) and it really
disturbs me that it is not working anymore.

Is there maybe a new version coming soon?

Love Danny

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (03/08/86)

In article <588@sal.UUCP>, dk@sal.UUCP (Danny Kohn) writes:
> My RedRyder 7.0 crashes when I use it togehter with my updated
> Mac+ system. Does anyone know any way to fix this problem?

Version 8.0 does work with the Mac+.  It is only available to
registered owners at this point, and can only be found on the
private roundtable, for registered users only, on GENIE (GE's
nationwide timesharing service).  On April 3 it will be released
to the public.

Don't ask how a registered owner can get it without getting on
GENIE; we don't know the answer to that question.

DISCLAIMER:  We don't have any affiliation with Freesoft company
or with GENIE.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (03/09/86)

In article <588@sal.UUCP>, dk@sal.UUCP (Danny Kohn) writes:
> My RedRyder 7.0 crashes when I use it togehter with my updated
> Mac+ system. Does anyone know any way to fix this problem?
>
> I am (was) using RR very much (I have a license) and it really
> disturbs me that it is not working anymore.
>
> Is there maybe a new version coming soon?
>
> Love Danny

     At last, there is a new Red Ryder, version 8.0.  Registered owners should
be receiving their copy of it within the next two weeks.  Included with Red
Ryder 8.0 is a copy of Scott Watson's new BBS software, Red Ryder Host (formerlycalled Lazarus).  It also includes free time on GEnie, a new electronic network.
Watson has discontinued his BBS and now uses GEnie to support Red. Here is some
info I got off of the Montgomery County XL BBS (713)353-9391.

Msg. #108 in **PUBLIC MESSAGES** Posted on 03/07/86 at 04:22:30
To: ALL   From: SCOTT WATSON
Subject: Them Missouri Potatoes Have Ears!
Yeah, you wouldn't believe what my phone bills are every month either.
Want to compare?  To paraphrase what Brian announced earlier, Red Ryder
8.0 _is_ shareware, but Red Ryder Host isn't.  Here's the poop: I'm
putting a 30-day copy moratorium on Red Ryder 8.0 to make sure all the
registered users can update and begin using it before anyone else.  Fair
enough, right?  Red Ryder Host is one of the many perks of registration
(not to mention such things as a _free_ GEnie subscription), and only
registered Red Ryder users can obtain and use Red Ryder Host.  Forty bucks
buys you one hell of a software product, starting now.  S.W.

Msg. #109 in **PUBLIC MESSAGES** Posted on 03/07/86 at 04:32:04
To: SYSTEM OPERATOR   From: SCOTT WATSON
Subject: Throughput
Roger, you may in fact connect your Mac's serial port directly using a
baud rate of 57,600, but you ain't gonna achieve anywhere near that.  The
reason is that the QuickDraw character drawing routines get CPU bound at
300 cps (3000 baud approx).  You can't achieve an actual throughput
greater than that.  But that's not the hardest part.  Where you _really_
get the slowdown is in processing carriage returns.  Red Ryder has not up
to this point been really directed to the direct-connect applications for
terminal use (I use it just to send XMODEM at 9600 baud - what a gas!),
but that's changing rapidly.  What's in the works for version 9.0 are the
following priorities:
  A) Much improved throughput: I want that sucker running 4800 baud with
  no buffering (480 cps).  Yes I know that means bypassing the "unbelievably
  fast" QuickDraw, but if you don't need the fancy italics, outlining,
  shadowing, scaling, etc. features of QuickDraw, you can get around it's
  limits.  A great deal of pain, for sure.  My advice - stay the hell away
  from the last couple of pages in the QuickDraw manual on customized
  routines if you want to keep your sanity.
  B) A major overhaul of the Procedure language.  What I've got mapped out
  will put CrossTalk and MicroSoft Access to shame.  With a conversion
  utility for old Red Ryder Procedure files, of course.
  C) Nautilus.  I call it that because it's a pretty shell.  If you know
  what I'm talking about, you'll get a real kick out of this.
  Keep the comments coming!  S.W.

I find it interesting to see where Red Ryder / Red Ryder Host are headed.

Robert J. Hammen		{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!puff!hammen
Manta Software Corp.					     !gumby!hammen
U. of Wisc. CS Dept.		hammen@PUFF.WISC.EDU, hammen@GUMBY.WISC.EDU
U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (03/09/86)

> My RedRyder 7.0 crashes when I use it togehter with my updated
> Mac+ system. Does anyone know any way to fix this problem?
>
> I am (was) using RR very much (I have a license) and it really
> disturbs me that it is not working anymore.
>
> Is there maybe a new version coming soon?

Red Ryder V7.0 will not work properly on the Mac+.

According to a message on the CompuServe Mac user SIG, V8.0 is available
now to all registered owners along with a copy of Red Ryder Host which
is a BBS for the Mac.