[net.micro.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #9

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (03/09/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Sunday, 9 Mar 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 9

Today's Topics:
     RE: Partially sighted word processors
     RE: Control in Dialo (Re: Msg 6301)
     Survey Program
     RE: Survey Program (Re: Msg 6331)
     File Placement in the Finder
     RE: File Placement in the Finder (Re: Msg 6333)
     HD20 Scuzzied?
     RE: HD20 Scuzzied? (Re: Msg 6339)
     Re: "The Macintosh Journal"
     Re: "The Macintosh Journal"
     Re: "The Macintosh Journal"
     Re: "The Macintosh Journal"
     Vax + MacBinary
     RE: DEC VT240 emulators
     DATABASES
     Re: PackIt II
     paradise hard disks
     RE: paradise hard disks (Re: Msg 6411)
     RE: paradise hard disks (Re: Msg 6416)
     RE: Backup Utilities
     Re:  Fooling TextEdit & MacTerminal
     Re:  Laserwriter to other hosts.
     Re:  Laserwriter to other hosts.
     Re:  Red Ryder at 9600 bps with screen addressing.
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #13 (Re: Msg 6457)
     IEE-488 to MAC and Back
     RE: IEE-488 to MAC and Back (Re: Msg 6462)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #13 (Re: Msg 6466)
     HyperDrive vs. Dasch
     RE: Doubling your Sony Floppies (Re: Msg 6298)

From: ASMCOR (6314)
Subject: RE: Partially sighted word processors
Date: 2-MAR-21:47: Mousing Around

Jim,

I have a wordprocessing program designed especially for the partially
sighted.  So far, I haven't been able to place it with any publisher,
so I am considering marketing it on my own.  I would like to have it
tested before I do that, so perhaps the child you mentioned would be
willing to do that in return for a copy of the program?  The program
uses large letters on the Mac, and it has a special magnifying glass
area that allows the user to read the menus and dialog boxes.  It uses
MacinTalk to read any of the text out loud, and it can echo keys as
they are typed.  It also will print out with large letters.  I can't
do much about the size of the Mac screen, but this program will sure
help.  Let me know if you are interested in this program.  My address
is PO Box 151, Maynard, MA 01754 Jan Eugenides Assembly Corner

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (6315)
Subject: RE: Control in Dialo (Re: Msg 6301)
Date: 2-MAR-21:49: Programming

Ugo,

Whatcha want to do is use SetCtlAction to set the scroller to your
routine.  Otherwise, you never get another call as long as the button
is held down.  That's why it only scrolls one line.  Be sure to trap
out the THUMB hit, though, because it will crash due to the thumb
requiring more parms on the stack.
Jan

------------------------------

From: RFV (6331)
Subject: Survey Program
Date: 3-MAR-22:49: Business Mac

Does anyone know of a program that will analyze an opion survey by frequency
survey with a scale of 1-5 for agree to disagree, and I wanto analyze the data
by a few demographi, ie. sex, length of employment, etc. Please drop me a note.

------------------------------

From: BUGEYE (6355)
Subject: RE: Survey Program (Re: Msg 6331)
Date: 4-MAR-21:54: Business Mac

In analyzing your data, it sounds like a stat program would work.  Two that
follow Mac interface conventiona and are rather powerful are Statview and
StatWorks.  Both do correlations, regression, t-tests and chi-square/crostabs.

------------------------------

From: MARSHG (6333)
Subject: File Placement in the Finder
Date: 4-MAR-00:57: Programming

What do I have to do to the Finder info block of a file to have the
Finder assign a new location to the file when it displays it.  I tried
setting FdLocation to 0 but that moves the file to the upper left
corner of the folder's window.  I don't care where it gets placed, I
just want the Finder to treat it as if it were a new file in the
folder. Marsh Gosnell

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6334)
Subject: RE: File Placement in the Finder (Re: Msg 6333)
Date: 4-MAR-01:02: Programming

Turn off the Init'd bit in fdFlags.

By the way, MANX 'C' _open() has a bug in it (version 1.06F, anyway)
that causes it to set the Init'd bit when it creates a new file.  That
is why the files produced by Aztec 'C' wind up on top of each other in
the upper left corner of the desktop.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACSPARKY (6339)
Subject: HD20 Scuzzied?
Date: 4-MAR-18:53: Hardware & Peripherals

Any news regarding a scuzzied version of the Apple HD20? Or any news
regarding a scuzzy upgrade for owners of HD20?

I am an interested HD20 owner.......Infoworld rumor on front page sez June.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6366)
Subject: RE: HD20 Scuzzied? (Re: Msg 6339)
Date: 5-MAR-09:22: Hardware & Peripherals

Apple had said at the San Francisco national accounts presentations
that they would _not_ do an SCSI drive for the Mac, but then you never
know, ey?  I really doubt they'll offer an upgrade for HD20 owners,
but it would be nice if they brought out a high-quality SCSI drive at
a lower price, and dropped the price of the HD20 (the rumor started
here).

Ric

------------------------------

From: BMUG (6356)
Subject: Re: "The Macintosh Journal"
Date: 4-MAR-22:13: Mousing Around

One other totally "user-supported" publication that's been around for
a while is The BMUG Journal, which is published twice a year (Spring
and Fall) and is just $40/year, and is certainly not "thin" - last
Fall's journal was 220 pages!  It contains reviews, advice, tips,
tricks, and some news. Subscriptions include access to BMUG's BBS's
(in Berkeley and New York), and each newsletter includes a jam-packed
disk.  BMUG also maintains a software library of over 30 QUALITY,
up-to-date disks, and has 2 hardware projects: an A/D Converter
(digitizer) and PhoneNET, and AppleTalk-compatible Local Area Network.
For more information, or to subscribe, write to BMUG at:

Delphi: BMUG
GEnie: BMUG
CIS: 70007,2271
or USnail: 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA, 94709-1254
Sorry, no net address yet... stay tuned, tho'!

-- Raines Cohen
SYSOP, BMUG BBS

BMUG is a non-profit educational california corporation

I present this information for the benefit of the reader, as a fellow user,
and regardless of my connections with BMUG (SYSOP is a volunteer position).

P.S. The Spring '86 journal will be out by early April!

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE (6368)
Date: 5-MAR-09:25: Mousing Around

And let us not forget MacInTouch.  We have been around a lot longer
than The Macintosh Journal and also accept no ads. I think we look a
lot better than they do also.

Rick Le PAge
"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6369)
Date: 5-MAR-09:34: Mousing Around

 "MacInTouch" has been published monthly since June 1985 and is
approximately the same size as the Macintosh Journal.  Subscriptions
are available to info-mac members at a discount price of $39/year
(normally $48).  Free condensed "sampler" issues are available by
writing or calling Ford-LePage, Inc.at PO Box 786, Framingham, MA,
01701, 617-527-5808 or 617-881-6554, Delphi: MACINTOUCH, CompuServe:
75016,350 or 75056,1225.  "MacInTouch" takes no advertising and is
targeted towards professional Macintosh users.

[ NOTE: Ordinarily I would not have included this message in the digest due
  to its commercial nature.  However, since they are offering a discount to
  readers of this digest I am doing it as a public service.  This does NOT
  imply an endorsement nor that I am accepting "advertising". - Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6374)
Date: 5-MAR-10:05: Mousing Around

I would like to add an impartial recommendation of the BMUG newsletter. It's a
fine publication, and I say this after having done a similar thing, but
published monthly, in the Boston Computer Society ("Handle").

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MEDEBAR (6365)
Subject: Vax + MacBinary
Date: 5-MAR-09:16: Telecommunicating

I am looking for a program to support MacBinary transfers between a Vax running
VMS and a Mac running Versaterm or Freeterm. Any pointer?

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6392)
Subject: RE: DEC VT240 emulators
Date: 5-MAR-22:42: Mousing Around

completed beta testing of their VT240 emulator for the Macintosh. It's $199,
non-copy-protected, and site licenses are available.  It seems to do everything
except 132-column mode from their literature. 75 Route 101A, P.O.Box 1108,
Amherst, NH, 03031, 603-673-8151.

From: JIMSB (6408)
Subject: DATABASES
Date: 6-MAR-19:36: Business Mac

I would be very interested in what database programs people use on their Mac's
and what they like most/least about them. Especially in relation to mailing
lists, mail merging, and label printing

Send mail to  JIMSB
THANKS!

------------------------------

From: CHESLEY (6456)
Subject: Re: PackIt II
Date: 8-MAR-14:57: Mousing Around

Re bundle bit problem in PackIt II: I've checked the original and then
downloaded the program from here (Delphi) and checked that copy and both have
the bundle bit set just fine. The copy that Gary Standorf has must have lost it
somewhere in transmission...

Re hard-disk archive/back-up: Yes, I'm thinking along those same
lines. PackIt III will just add encryption and some speed/user
interface improvements. But for PackIt IV, I'm planning to rethink the
whole thing with hard back-up and archiving in mind -- then you'll be
able to back-up your hard disk in compressed form and even encrypt it
so you don't have to worry about personal files staying personal. The
minimum needed to do this is to be able to split the packed file
across multiple floppies, but I have even more than that in mind.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6411)
Subject: paradise hard disks
Date: 6-MAR-21:53: Hardware & Peripherals

I've just heard that two samples of the Paradise hard disk drive both had big
problems producing excessive radio-frequency interference, and that Paradise
could not come up with any FCC registration numbers for their product.  Can
anyone confirm or deny this?

Ric Ford

"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (6416)
Subject: RE: paradise hard disks (Re: Msg 6411)
Date: 6-MAR-22:32: Hardware & Peripherals

Your information on the Paradise drive fits what a local Apple serviceman told
me, as to the interference.  The dealer he is employed by had stopped carrying
the drive after his first six units arrived in the original cartons in pieces,
though.  I had not heard of FCC problems, though.
It seems that Paradise is now trying to sell the drives directly to User
Group members, one deal I've seen at $575 each.
Alf

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6421)
Subject: RE: paradise hard disks (Re: Msg 6416)
Date: 7-MAR-08:42: Hardware & Peripherals

Yeah, my friend said that the screws had come loose and that there were little,
untouchable nuts on the inside that could no longer be gotten anywhere in the
vacinity of the screw/bolt...

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6424)
Subject: RE: Backup Utilities
Date: 7-MAR-08:53: Mousing Around

that the QuickDrive external RAM disk comes with a copyrighted, but
free, backup utility.

I don't believe it works with HFS, however.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6446)
Subject: Re:  Fooling TextEdit & MacTerminal
Date: 8-MAR-01:00: Mousing Around

Re:  Fooling TextEdit ... I am pretty sure that CoreEdit can be licensed from
Apple for a moderate fee ($50 perhaps per product-year).  Call Apple Licensing
at (408) 973-4667.

Re: why does MacTerminal persist in whirring the disk?  It is saving
your screen (yes, the part you are looking at even when not saving
lines off top) whether you want it to or not.  It does this when 500
ticks go by without a change to the content of the screen.  You can
increase this delay time by searching the resource fork of MacTerminal
for the longword 0x000001F4 and replacing it with a bigger value.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6448)
Subject: Re:  Laserwriter to other hosts.
Date: 8-MAR-01:08: Mousing Around

Take a look in the LW manual.  (I don't have a copy, sorry.)  I am
pretty sure that there is a method of configuring it so that it is
simultaneously connected via AppleTalk and the RS-232 port, and it
will arbitrate near-simultaneous attempts to queue jobs from the two
ports, appearing busy to the post which loses the race, until that job
is done.

peter

------------------------------

From: BMUG (6465)
Date: 8-MAR-22:29: Mousing Around

I've heard from several sources that it is possible to DAMAGE
equipment if things that are connected together are hooked into more
than one port on the LW; for instance, an ImageWriter cable and
AppleTalk cable from one mac.  You also want to be careful about
flipping that switch, depending on what's connected...

The new LaserWriter driver (v3.0, comes with Finder 5.2 and system 3.1) has an
option to print out a "job sheet" at the beginning or end of a print request.
It shows the username, application and document names, and the date and time of
printing.  It seems especially useful for large-volume, multi-user
installations, like copy shops.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give any information
such as # of pages or CPU cycles, so it can't be used to facilitate billing.

The new "Print" dialog box also has a "help" button, which explains
lots of neat things, including how to print envelopes (which John
Dvorak said was impossible with LaserWriters).

The Laser Prep file has changed, and the driver has a way of detecting whether
the currently loaded file is correct.  One other nice feature is that it no
longer spits out an extra instructions page every time you manual feed.

-- Raines Cohen
BMUG Operatiosn Manager

P.S. We've installed Finder 5.2 and System 3.1 on Mac 512's, +'s, and
     a Lisa (MacWorks 3.0) all no problem so far.  HFS doesn't work quite
     right with the Tecmar yet, but JIMH of Apple/Dayton is sending a fix
     for that.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6459)
Subject: Re:  Red Ryder at 9600 bps with screen addressing.
Date: 8-MAR-17:08: Mousing Around

It depends what version Red Ryder you are running.  Version 6.x all
had serious problems with one aspect of VT-100 or another, but version
7.0 is a lot cleaner.  I recently used Red Ryder 7.0 with EDT under
VMS at 9600 bps, and it seemed to work OK except that I couldn't get
the cursor keys to work right and it was easier to switch back to
MacTerminal than fiddle with all the VT-100 and control key mapping
options to get it right.

It is possible that my limited test didn't reveal problems with overrunning the
buffer from host to Mac, since as you probably noticed, RR's screen painting is
not among the fastest.  Scott has indicated that improving the efficiency of
screen painting is one of his concerns for the next RR version.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6461)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #13 (Re: Msg 6457)
Date: 8-MAR-17:36: Mousing Around

Re: RAM Serial driver ... it is included in the Macintosh software
supplement which can be ordered from Apple (May 1985 and December 85
should both be ordered to get up to date).  You can check if there are
any copyright or licensing issues involved by calling Apple Licensing
at (408) 973-4667. Unlike other departments at Apple, when they are
away from their desk, they do not route your call to the Apple Message
Center ... they have an answering machine!  (Hurrah!)

Re:  Switcher partition size ... according the "Developer's Guide to Switcher",
you include a resource of type SIZE and ID -1 in the following format:

    flag word (2 bytes) see below
    longword -- recommended partition size
    longword -- minimum partition size

Note, the size listed is 32K less than what you would expect, due to
compensation for the size of the screen buffer and misc overhead.  That means if
you think of the program as running in 128K, enter 96K in the resource. In the
flags word, set all bits to zero except for the high order two:

    bit15 -- if set, means save the screen during switching (otherwise you
             will get a mass of update events when you get switched back in).
    bit14 -- if set, means you want to get suspend/resume events when being
             switched out or in.  You need to read the Developer's Guide and
             maybe the document "Inside Switcher" to know how to do that.

The Developer's Guide to Switcher is part of the May 1985 Software Supplement (
which also contained the release 3.0 beta test Switcher).  The document "Inside
Switcher" is a partially written document which is due to be released in its
partial state in a few weeks, and which has been making the rounds of bulletin
board systems since last summer.

Re: 800K Mirror Technology drives ... see Info-Mac V4 #27 for dire warnings.

Re: MANX return to Finder.  I don't do what MANX suggests.  Instead, I
run the Finder by typing volname:finder as a command to the MANX
Shell, and then I run Waystation (a PD launcher prgram written by
Steve Brecher) and immediately exit back to the Finder (this fixes up
the name of Finder fields in low core).

I could probably speed this up by invoking Waystation directly, but I
am running on a Mac+ HFS system, and my copy of Waystation is in the
Blessed Folder and can't be found by MANX Shell.  I have not
investigated to see if it will set up the WDRefNum of the Finder
properly if invoked from the desktop by the Shell instead of from
within the Blessed Folder.

peter

------------------------------

From: FRANKPATRICK (6462)
Subject: IEE-488 to MAC and Back
Date: 8-MAR-20:25: Hardware & Peripherals

Does anybody have any experience with attaching a Mac to IEE-488
devices? I have access to an old HP-7470 2-pen plotter with an HP-IB
(IEE-488) interface. Do any of the commercial plotter drivers have the
capability of driving such an arcane hookup? (arcane???) And what sort
of conversion from the Mac serial to the 488 would be necessary?  Or
am I just way off base in thinking about it? I sound like I don't know
what I'm talking about...That's close to the truth.  Frank Patrick

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6463)
Subject: RE: IEE-488 to MAC and Back (Re: Msg 6462)
Date: 8-MAR-20:41: Hardware & Peripherals

You will definitely need an external conversion box.  IEEE-488 is a
parallel interface with a fairly complex protocol (but there are LSI
circuits that implement the protocol, so it is no longer very
expensive).  I think I have seen such devices at one of the Expos, and
you are correct in thinking that you should try the people who sell
plotting software to see if they can help you.  If you can't find the
names and phone numbers of any of those companies, or if they don't
have the hardware you need, post another message and I'll rummage
through my literature.

peter

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6468)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #13 (Re: Msg 6466)
Date: 8-MAR-23:50: Mousing Around

RE: ISAM database tools,  TML sells an ISAM package along to go with their
Pascal development system.

RE: file server info,  Centram Systems West, 2372 Ellsworth Ave, Berkeley CA
94704, 415-644-8244, ;should be able to supply protocol definitions for
AppleTalk file servers - they wrote them jointly with Apple.

RE: cdrigney's question on the $800 math coprocessor, the best source for
information is probably Consulair Corp., the C compiler vendor.  Ask for Jay
Friedland.  The coprocessor is sold by Quesse and is a National Semi chip not a
68881, (unless he's referring to some other product I'm not familiar with).

From: RICFORD (6470)
Subject: HyperDrive vs. Dasch
Date: 8-MAR-23:53: Bugs & Features

The new MACazine has a mention by Charlie Jackson of Dasch external RAM disks
trashing HyperDrives at Comdex.  Anyone got any more details on this?

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: RSTICKLE (6474)
Subject: RE: Doubling your Sony Floppies (Re: Msg 6298)
Date: 9-MAR-10:35: Hardware & Peripherals

I kind of ASSumed (I hate that word!) that the 3.5 disks are made much like the
older floppies, I had a chance to sit and talk to a guy from Walbash years ago
and he told me that all disks start off being made DSDD, if they fail the back
side they go SS. Since the companies sell more SS than any other type, much of
the time DSDD disks are sold packaged as SS but just not certified on the back
side.  At the time I had a program (on my TI-99) that would read and write to
all sectors and 99% of the disks passed. --Rick--

End of Delphi Digest