[net.micro.mac] Microsoft Basic Compatibility

593aac@houxa.UUCP (S.JOHNSON) (03/06/86)

As a novice reader of this newsgroup, I have to hope this topic hasn't
been beaten to death already....

According to the MS Basic 2.0 documentation, old 1.0 programs with
line numbers, etc. can be run under the new version. When I try
to open the program I get a message saying that no application
exists to open the file. When I give a specific "LOAD" command
to MS basic, I get the message "Bad File Mode". Are MS Basic 1.0
programs runnable with 2.0? The file owner and file type associated
with the old program are different than those for a newly created test
program. Anybody know how to save the program?

	Steve Johnson

rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/08/86)

In article <978@houxa.UUCP> 593aac@houxa.UUCP (S.JOHNSON) writes:
>According to the MS Basic 2.0 documentation, old 1.0 programs with
>line numbers, etc. can be run under the new version. When I try
>to open the program I get a message saying that no application
>exists to open the file. When I give a specific "LOAD" command
>to MS basic, I get the message "Bad File Mode". Are MS Basic 1.0
>programs runnable with 2.0?
>	Steve Johnson

I, too, have tried to run a version 1.0 MS-BASIC program in the version
2.0 environment, without success.  I was unaware that the
documentation made the claim you mention, but mine is an early version,
so perhaps they changed it.  Seems to me that the two
versions are so different that they would have to be incompatible.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/08/86)

In article <127@tetra.UUCP> rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. rupp) writes:
>In article <978@houxa.UUCP> 593aac@houxa.UUCP (S.JOHNSON) writes:
>>According to the MS Basic 2.0 documentation, old 1.0 programs with
>>line numbers, etc. can be run under the new version. When I try
>>to open the program I get a message saying that no application
>>exists to open the file. When I give a specific "LOAD" command
>>to MS basic, I get the message "Bad File Mode". Are MS Basic 1.0
>>programs runnable with 2.0?
>>	Steve Johnson
>
>I, too, have tried to run a version 1.0 MS-BASIC program in the version
>2.0 environment, without success.  I was unaware that the
>documentation made the claim you mention, but mine is an early version,
>so perhaps they changed it.  Seems to me that the two
>versions are so different that they would have to be incompatible.

If the MS Basic 1.0 Program was saved AS TEXT ONLY it can be loaded
into MS BASIC 2.0 and run.  It can then be saved compressed mode and can
be double-clicked.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

lantz@dartvax.UUCP (Bob Lantz) (03/10/86)

MS-BASIC 2.0 comes in two configurations, supporting bcd and
binary math, respectively.  If *both* are on the desktop and
an MS-BASIC 1.0 document is opened from the finder, the 'correct'
version of MS-BASIC 2.0 will start up and load the document.
Alternately, the bcd ($) configuration of 2.0 will open up 1.0
documents directly.

I believe that the problem only occurs with compressed files. TEXT files
should be compatible across all versions and configurations.

					-Bob
					(lantz@dartvax)

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (03/10/86)

In article <127@tetra.UUCP>, rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
> In article <978@houxa.UUCP> 593aac@houxa.UUCP (S.JOHNSON) writes:
> >According to the MS Basic 2.0 documentation, old 1.0 programs with
> >line numbers, etc. can be run under the new version.
> I, too, have tried to run a version 1.0 MS-BASIC program in the version
> 2.0 environment, without success.

If you still have a copy of 1.0, load the program and then re-save it as
text.  You should be able to load it just hunky-dory.

Microsoft makes no guarantees about protected mode, and I'm not sure
about compressed mode.  I think they're only promising source code
compatibility.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037