[net.micro.mac] Cache on a 512K Mac with HD20??

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (03/14/86)

Has anyone figured out how to use the new Cache capability (as indicated in the
new Control Panel) from a 512K Mac using the HD20?

It seems a shame that the cache resource (I'm guessing) can't be provided in RAM
as with HFS...

(Especially since the Turbo cache program doesn't work in this configuration!)

Jeff

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (03/14/86)

In article <1663@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>Has anyone figured out how to use the new Cache capability (as indicated in the
>new Control Panel) from a 512K Mac using the HD20?

You can set the cache all you like, but to work it is dependent upon the new
128K ROMs unfortunately.  I tried it for a little while once, and it didn't seem
as good for floppy access as TurboControl, but then again it might be
prioritizing other resources instead.  Does anyone know the algorithm it
uses?

-Chris
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (03/15/86)

> Has anyone figured out how to use the new Cache capability (as indicated
> in the new Control Panel) from a 512K Mac using the HD20?
>
> It seems a shame that the cache resource (I'm guessing) can't be provided
> in RAM as with HFS...
>
> (Especially since the Turbo cache program doesn't work in this configuration!)
>
> Jeff

The cache only works with the new ROM's.