From: CHESLEY (6479)
Subject: Re: Switcher sizes
Date: 9-MAR-17:04: Mousing Around

You can just run Switcher, do Configure then Install, tell it what
sizes and screen saving you want, then click on Permanent, and it will
install all that stuff for you. This doesn't work if you want to use
some of the special Switcher features like suspend/resume events, but
for just basic Switcher compatability it's all you need.

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (6494)
Subject: Re: basic 1.0
Date: 10-MAR 21:17 Mousing Around

Steve,
You should be able to use the program by first loading it into 1.0 and
saving it as a text file.  Then load it into 2.0 (decimal version
only) and save it as a 2.0 compressed file.
Jan Eugenides

------------------------------

From: HALL (6490)
Subject: Mac+ Upgrades
Date: 10-MAR 01:53 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone actually gotten an upgrade from a 128K or 512K Mac to a Mac+?  I've
heard a rumor (It's third generation now; apparently it started on CI$.) that
the drive upgrades wouldn't be released until April and that the logic board
upgrades wouldn't be released (maybe available would be a better word) until
June.  My dealer still says another two weeks.  If anyone has solid information
on this, I'd appreciate it.

Brian Hall

------------------------------

From: OPPENHEIM (6504)
Subject: Mac+ & Small Talk
Date: 10-MAR 23:58 Programming

Has anyone used Apple's Small Talk with the Mac+?  I.e., is it dependent on
ROM64 and old system?  I assume that Level1.image can be reconstituted on aa DS
floppy, and runs on the 1M of ram. . .then again. . .

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (6506)
Subject: Re: Finding the Blessed System Folder
Date: 11-MAR 05:09 Mousing Around

ioVFndrInfo+4 does indeed contain the DirID of the startup application, if it's
not the system directory.  (It wouldn't be Finder's directory, because Finder
must be in the system directory, else _ExitToShell would fail when the shell
name is "Finder" -- which it is for most users.)

The 64K ROM boot-time stack base is at $FC00.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6527)
Subject: Re: Aztec 'C' with hard disks
Date: 12-MAR 19:39 MUGS Online

Put everything you need to reference from within the Shell at the
desktop level.  Do not try to use HFS Folders.  MANX has promised to
add HFS support in the next release, so a more satisfactory solution
will have to wait until then.

peter

------------------------------

From: CVARGAS (6540)
Subject: HFS and 3rd party hard drives
Date: 13-MAR 07:35 Hardware & Peripherals

I realize this question has probably been answered many times, but please bear
with it one more time... thanks!  What's the story on compatibility of the new
system/finder (i.e. HFS) with hard disk drives like the Paradise, MacBottom,
etc.  I'm most interested in the Paradise, what with MacConnection selling them
for $550.  Has anyone run the Paradise with HFS?  Does it work? Better yet, is
anyone running one with a MacPlus, and does it work?
I appreciate your help.
-Chris Vargas-

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6541)
Subject: RE: HFS and 3rd party hard drives (Re: Msg 6540)
Date: 13-MAR 08:46 Hardware & Peripherals

Chris,

I understand that Paradise had HFS working a long time ago and was
trying to get Apple to let them distribute it with the hard disk.  I
have seen MacBottom running HFS and MFS in different volumes.  Very
nice.  I know MacBottom can run from the Plus, as I've seen that, too,
but I'm not sure what you need for cables (call them at
1-800-MAC-BUTT).  The Bottom is noisy in the audio spectrum, the
Paradise is reportedly noisy in the RF range.  I've also heard of
quality problems with the Paradise, but not with the Bottom.  This may
be the root of the low price, although Paradise seems to have a good
warranty (the quality problems were not with the hard disk itself, but
with screws falling out of cases, and so forth).  I've heard lots of
satisfied customers of MacBottom, but I've been unable to get much
info on the Paradise from end users.  KENWINOGRAD has one, so you
could send him some mail.

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6566)
Subject: compatibility and new uploads
Date: 14-MAR 21:31 Macintosh In Fact

Using System 3.1 and Finder 5.2 ran into a big problem printing on the
LaserWriter: a document which printed fine under Finder 4.1/old
system, in Times font, now printed with "micro-jaggies" and bold,
italic, etc. did not come out as such. To make a long story short, the
fix was to install the new "screen" fonts available in the same
databases, using Font/DA Mover 3.1 (_also_ in the same databases!).
At one point, I tried an old LaserWriter driver file and that hung
completely.

This was all with the single Mac connected to a single LaserWriter via
AppleTalk.

Can anyone figure out what exactly was missing from the fonts that
gave problems?  ResEdit showed both FOND and FONT resources before and
after the fix -- I didn't examine the resources in any more detail to
try to find differences.

Ric Ford

"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6570)
Subject: Re:  Magic location in Mac+ selects boot sequence.
Date: 14-MAR 22:08 MUGS Online

There is a byte in the parameter RAM which selects the drive to boot from.  It
would be worthwhile using the PRAM utility (shareware by Ken Winograd) to
correct that byte if you ever have that problem again.  Otherwise, pulling the
battery is the only effective solution.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (6587)
Subject: Re:  document conversion among Microsoft WORD, TeX, troff, and MacWrite.
Date: 15-MAR 14:31 MUGS Online

The MacWrite document format is described in Tech Notes 11-13 available from
Apple and electronically via ICONtact and other databases.

[ As well as the INFO-MAC archives - Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (6589)
Date: 15-MAR 21:45 MUGS Online

I understand that Microsoft is trying to keep the Word document format a big
secret.  Perhaps they're embarrassed about it?

ric

------------------------------

From: FRIED (6590)
Date: 16-MAR 05:49 MUGS Online

The reason Microsoft gives, as I understand it from others, is that
the information is proprietary so that they will not be in a position
of having incompatible products using Word files when Microsoft
decides to change the format --- a fairly normal and reasonable
position often taken by large software

vendors.

Even so, it *would* be nice to have it.

Bob