[net.micro.mac] Problem with Imagewriter II and/or driver v. 2.0

hylas@ecsvax.UUCP (Andy R. Bobyarchick) (02/19/86)

I purchased an Imagewriter II (with Mac512) in October, 1985, and I
have noticed an annoying quirk in operating the printer with version
2.0 of the printer driver. I have checked with a number of other
I-II owners and they have experienced the same problem.

Try printing some text from MacWrite or Word using the 2.0 driver
and with the print quality set at "Standard". Use Geneva-10 (or
most any font, really). Now look closely at the output.

Depending on the font style and size that you used, the letters will be
distorted. This may show up as slight forward or backward (or alterna-
ting) slant in vertical segments of the letters. Print text containing
a MacPaint picture with vertical lines; the lines will be distorted.

The distortion is not present if you use "High" quality or if you use
v. 1.0 of the driver. It's something about the bidirectional print mode
in standard quality. I hope that the problem is software and not hard-
ware.

(1) Has anyone noticed this problem and have you found a solution?

(2) Has anyone used driver v. 2.1 and does it have the same problem?

                                 hylas@ecsvax
                                 (Andy R. Bobyarchick at UNC-Charlotte)

marcus@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew Marcus) (03/17/86)

In article <1215@ecsvax.UUCP> hylas@ecsvax.UUCP (Andy R. Bobyarchick) writes:

>I purchased an Imagewriter II (with Mac512) in October, 1985, and I
>have noticed an annoying quirk in operating the printer with version
>2.0 of the printer driver. I have checked with a number of other
>I-II owners and they have experienced the same problem.
>
>and with the print quality set at "Standard". Use Geneva-10 (or
>most any font, really). Now look closely at the output.
>
>Depending on the font style and size that you used, the letters will be
>distorted. This may show up as slight forward or backward (or alterna-
>ting) slant in vertical segments of the letters. Print text containing
>a MacPaint picture with vertical lines; the lines will be distorted.
>
>The distortion is not present if you use "High" quality or if you use
>v. 1.0 of the driver. It's something about the bidirectional print mode
>in standard quality. I hope that the problem is software and not hard-
>ware.
>
>(1) Has anyone noticed this problem and have you found a solution?

I have the same problem. I have experimented with Macwrite, Word, Macpaint
and others by printing on my printer, then on a friends,using the same disk!
Unfortunately, his printed out perfectly while mine came out looking very
'wavy',in both standard and high quality modes,(although it was much more
noticable in standard mode since the characters are thinner). What appears
to be happening is that the lower half of each letter is out of alignement
with the upper half by several 'pixels'; this happens when the print head makes
its second pass.

I brought it to the dealer,and wouldn't you know that their demo had the same
problem.I talked to some Apple reps at the MacWorld Expo in SF in January;
they said they knew about it and that I should select 'high quality' on the
Imagewriter and 'standard' on the software (ImageWriter v2.0)to fix the problem.
Now,the manual says that the software overides the hardware, and sure enough,
it made little difference. Using the Imagewriter (v1.0) makes it slightly less
noticable, but the problem is *definitely* still there.

Any ideas??

	mat marcus
	ucbvax!brahms!marcus
	marcus@brahms.berkeley.edu