[net.micro.mac] What is Unix Windows?

jdb@mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) (03/17/86)

In article <992@h-sc1.UUCP> bangs@h-sc1.UUCP (alex bangs) writes:
>Could someone please tell me what Unix Windows (uw) is?  Somebody
>mentioned that it was available on a BBS in California.

UW is an application which, with the aid of a server program
running on a 4.2BSD host, provides up to seven independent
terminal sessions (i.e. it is a multiple-window terminal
emulator).

The current version (which is getting rather old now) is 2.10.  It
is copyrighted, but it is distributed at no cost.  The distribution
includes the Macintosh application (BinHex), MacWrite documentation
(BinHex), BSD server source code, and some miscellaneous other
things.  It is available to ARPANET hosts via anonymous FTP from
S1-C.ARPA (the filenames are "uwdist3.[1234]").  If you don't have
ARPANET access and you are in the USA and none of your UUCP neighbors
have it, send me mail.  Because of its size, I am reluctant to send
UW to sites more than a couple of UUCP hops away, but we can probably
work something out.

I am working on a newer version, but the work is going slowly.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor [jdb@s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758