[net.micro.mac] Grow Box in Mac+ windows

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (03/13/86)

I recently saw  my  first in-the-flesh Mac+, and noticed that, at
least in the  FInder,  the  windows  had a new control, the 'grow
box', in the upper right corner of the window's title bar.

I'm currently running System  3.0  and  Finder 5.1 on a 512K Mac,
yet don't see this new  control.   Should it be there, or is that
resource only in the new ROMS,  and  NOT  in  the 512K version of
System 3.0?

Additionally, how do I determine the version  of a SYSTEM?  Is it
stored in some hidden resource?

Jeff

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (03/14/86)

In article <1657@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>I recently saw  my  first in-the-flesh Mac+, and noticed that, at
>least in the  FInder,  the  windows  had a new control, the 'grow
>box', in the upper right corner of the window's title bar.
>
>I'm currently running System  3.0  and  Finder 5.1 on a 512K Mac,
>yet don't see this new  control.   Should it be there, or is that
>resource only in the new ROMS,  and  NOT  in  the 512K version of
>System 3.0?

The 'grow box' is a new call to the Window Manager in the 128K ROMs.  This
only works on the new ROMs.  See Tech Note #57 for a description.  I'm
curious to see how fast companies update their software to use this...

>Additionally, how do I determine the version  of a SYSTEM?  Is it
>stored in some hidden resource?

It's stored in a STR# resource (one of three, don't remember the number
off-hand)

-Chris
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/15/86)

In article <1657@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>I recently saw  my  first in-the-flesh Mac+, and noticed that, at
>least in the  FInder,  the  windows  had a new control, the 'grow
>box', in the upper right corner of the window's title bar.
>
>I'm currently running System  3.0  and  Finder 5.1 on a 512K Mac,
>yet don't see this new  control.   Should it be there, or is that
>resource only in the new ROMS,  and  NOT  in  the 512K version of
>System 3.0?
>
>Additionally, how do I determine the version  of a SYSTEM?  Is it
>stored in some hidden resource?

The Growbox is in the ROMS.

The System Version is in an STR Resource, I'm not sure what the ID is
but just open them 'till you find it. It says "System Version x.x"

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (03/15/86)

> I recently saw  my  first in-the-flesh Mac+, and noticed that, at
> least in the  FInder,  the  windows  had a new control, the 'grow
> box', in the upper right corner of the window's title bar.
>
> I'm currently running System  3.0  and  Finder 5.1 on a 512K Mac,
> yet don't see this new  control.   Should it be there, or is that
> resource only in the new ROMS,  and  NOT  in  the 512K version of
> System 3.0?
>
> Additionally, how do I determine the version  of a SYSTEM?  Is it
> stored in some hidden resource?

The zoom box is a feature of the new ROMs.  See Tech Note 57.

Look at STR 0 in the System file to see what version it is.  This is usually
correct as long as someone remembered to update it!

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (03/17/86)

> Additionally, how do I determine the version  of a SYSTEM?  Is it
> stored in some hidden resource?
>
> Jeff

It's not "hidden" - it's in STR resource number zero.

sman@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (Michael Spillman) (03/17/86)

> Additionally, how do I determine the version  of a SYSTEM?  Is it
> stored in some hidden resource?

	It is typically in STR resource #0 in the file that you want
	the rev for.