[net.micro.mac] Unix to Mac transfer

dad@mit-vax.UUCP (03/15/86)

At some point in the past month or so, some part of my normal unix to
mac file transfer chain broke.  I used to use xbin and macput on unix
and macterminal on the mac.  Now, this doesn't work.  When I try to
download a file, I get a macterminal message something like "transfer
aborted ... bad file block."

Recently, someone posted a program to create binary format files from
the output of xbin.  Using this, (theoretically) one should be able to
use one of the generic xmodem-type file transfer programs to send
programs in "mac-binary" mode.  This method is supported by the Red
Rider program, Freeterm, and the new Macterminal.  I tried this on two
or three things and it seemed to work at first.  The files appeared in
the finder with non-zero size and their appropriate icons, but they
caused system bombs when I tried to use them.

Could someone please tell me what the proper way to do macbinary
transfer is?  Here's what I tried:  I used xbin to create the .info,
.data, .rsrc files;  I ran macbin to create the .bin file;  I ran
"umodem -st" to send the file to my mac running RR.  RR acknowledged the
macbinary format and created the file.  I tried to use the files I
downloaded in this way and got bombs.

Thanks in advance.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/19/86)

In article <419@mit-vax.UUCP> dad@mit-vax.UUCP (David Duff) writes:
>Could someone please tell me what the proper way to do macbinary
>transfer is?  Here's what I tried:  I used xbin to create the .info,
>.data, .rsrc files;  I ran macbin to create the .bin file;  I ran
>"umodem -st" to send the file to my mac running RR.  RR acknowledged the
>macbinary format and created the file.  I tried to use the files I
>downloaded in this way and got bombs.

I wrote the program and have used it ever since. I know it works.
Your problem is, I believe, simple

use "umodem -sb".
--
 Jim Budler