[net.micro.mac] Finder 5.1->Switcher trick

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (03/14/86)

I discovered a wonderful thing last night by accident.  Up through Finder
4.1, the method of getting back to the Switcher was to run Switcher.  Now, if
you try that it returns "Application 'Switcher' is already open.  Try again".
This was a real frustration for quite some time--one solution found was the
shell of a program that did nothing but exit.

Lo and behold, I was in Finder 5.1 last night and wanted to boot up a floppy
(rare occurence due to HD20 :-)) and chose Shut Down without thinking about
it.  To my great surprise, I was returned to the Switcher.

Running Finder again, I noticed that Shut Down was changed to Quit.
Wonderful!  Why didn't anyone say anything about this?

-Chris
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

ragge@ttds.UUCP (03/19/86)

In article <3200@sdcc3.UUCP> borton@sdcc3.UUCP writes:
>Lo and behold, I was in Finder 5.1 last night and wanted to boot up a floppy
>(rare occurence due to HD20 :-)) and chose Shut Down without thinking about
>it.  To my great surprise, I was returned to the Switcher.
>
>Running Finder again, I noticed that Shut Down was changed to Quit.
>Wonderful!  Why didn't anyone say anything about this?
The same thing happens when you have run SmallTalk.
The finder then just quits like any other application, and finder starts
again.
	/ragge