[net.micro.mac] What is Latest Ver. of ResEdit??

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (03/12/86)

> In article <64@cascade.ARPA> leeke@cascade.UUCP (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
> >What about ResEdit?  What is the latest version and how do you get it? Is
> >it HFS compatible yet?
>
> The latest version is 1D5 (some zeros in there somewhere) posted on
> MAUG (Compuserve). It is HFS compatible.
> --
>  Jim Budler
>  Usenet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb

I've been using ResEdit 1.0D6 for a couple of weeks.  I downloaded it
from Mass Mac & Electric, a bulletin board in Saugus, Mass.  It's as
HFS-compatible as 1.0D5 was, but not as much as 0.8.  The major bug is
that opening files inside folders *sometimes* opens the file and *sometimes*
opens a new, empty file in the root directory.  0.8 didn't do this.
I mentioned the bug to Apple Tech Support on MCI Mail and they replied
"we never saw that.  We'll check on it."

Ephraim Vishniac
decvax!wanginst!wang!ephraim

olson@harvard.UUCP (Eric Olson) (03/14/86)

Regarding versions of Resource Editors:
	I started using Resource Editor 1.0D7 today (it was in the December
Supplement, which arrived a bit ago), and, among other things, it has a
new TMPL for the LAYO in Finder 5.2.  I was using an older template with
5.2 and got some (very few) strange behaviors.  The new LAYO includes the
date/time view (not sure of the format - two bytes somehow related to the
numbers for DateForm and WantSeconds in the International Utilities PACKage
section of Inside Mac), and on/offs for "Align all drags to grid" and "No
Trash Warnings", as well as zoom rects on launch.  The former two I like a
great deal.
	The new Resource Editor also now accepts typing-selection of items
in the list windows - I'm not sure if it's using the List Manager PACKage
(also in the December Supplement), but it certainly acts like it does.
Add this to TAB=drive change and you can be well into your program before
it even finishing launches (unless it flushes the events, but Consulair Edit,
for instance, does not).
	I'm very happy with System 3.1.1 and Finder 5.2, I guess.
				-Eric

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/15/86)

In article <771@wang.UUCP> ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) writes:
>> In article <64@cascade.ARPA> leeke@cascade.UUCP (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
>> >What about ResEdit?  What is the latest version and how do you get it? Is
>> >it HFS compatible yet?
>
>I've been using ResEdit 1.0D6 for a couple of weeks.  I downloaded it

On March 12 the following were posted on Compuserve:

ResEdit 1.0D7
Edit (HFS Compatible)
RMaker (HFS Compatible)

A whole slew of new MDS include files.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

steve@fcstools.UUCP (Steve Goldman) (03/21/86)

> In article <771@wang.UUCP> ephraim@wang.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac ) writes:
>I've been using ResEdit 1.0D6 for a couple of weeks.  I downloaded it
>from Mass Mac & Electric, a bulletin board in Saugus, Mass.  It's as
>HFS-compatible as 1.0D5 was, but not as much as 0.8.  The major bug is
>that opening files inside folders *sometimes* opens the file and *sometimes*
>opens a new, empty file in the root directory.

I had this identical problem with 1.0D7 downloaded from DELPHI. As far as I
could tell it always failed opening files on the boot volume under HFS, 1.0D4
worked fine so I kept using it instead.  The interesting part is I just got
the new ROMs today and the problem is gone. Seems like the file system in
HD20 Startup isn't quite the same as the new ROMs.

Steve Goldman