[net.micro.mac] Macintosh DA

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (03/12/86)

(line eater, line eater........)

I remember reading somewhere about a Desk Accessory for the
Mac that locks the Finder of the startup disk, so that even
if you run an application program from an external disk drive
the startup finder is not swapped. Is this possible ?
Did anyone else read about it ? As far as I can remember
the DA was called FLOCK ?

It's driving me crazy, since I haven't been able to remember
where I read about it!!!
UUCP    : {allegra|seismo|decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!akk2
BITNET  : HNUC@UORVM
USMAIL  : Atul Kacker, Dept.Chem Engg., Univ. Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627
VOICE   : (716)-275-5874
"I swear - by my life and my love of it - that I will never live for the
 sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine "-- Ayn Rand

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/15/86)

In article <45@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
>(line eater, line eater........)
>
>I remember reading somewhere about a Desk Accessory for the
>Mac that locks the Finder of the startup disk, so that even
>if you run an application program from an external disk drive
>the startup finder is not swapped. Is this possible ?
>Did anyone else read about it ? As far as I can remember
>the DA was called FLOCK ?
>
>It's driving me crazy, since I haven't been able to remember
>where I read about it!!!

I don't know about a DA, but Keeper is an application which does this, or
alternately do the following:

Use Fedit, open finder.

Hex search for 6738594F
Hex modify to  6038594F
                ^
write sector

NOTE: All of this is for Finder 4.1 ONLY, neither Keeper, nor the patch above
work with other (older or newer) versions of the Finder!!!!

As an aside, I am using System 3.0 and Finder 5.1.  With this combination
the system automatically stays put on a RamDisk.  I would GUESS it also
will do so on a hard disk. Finder 5.1 works with the older system but this
feature doesn't.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/19/86)

In article <708@puff.UUCP> hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:
>In article <10688@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) types:
>> In article <45@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
>> >
>.....procedure to modify finder to make the startup disk remain the default
>>
>> NOTE: All of this is for Finder 4.1 ONLY, neither Keeper, nor the patch above
>> work with other (older or newer) versions of the Finder!!!!
>>
>>  Jim Budler
>>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>>  (408) 749-5806
>>  Usenet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb
>>  Compuserve:	72415,1200
>
>Keeper works with Finder 5.1, as I use it on my Lisa and Profile every day.
>I don't know how anyone with a large desktop file (mine is 132K) could ever do
>without it.  Does anyone know who wrote it?

It doesn't work with my Mac512, system 3 finder 5.1.  It runs and the Mac Bombs
while closing the next application. Perhaps we have different versions, or
we are talking about different programs entirely.

The one I am talking about keeps the boot drive in place on a given
disk, whether you run an application off another disk containing a system
file or not. Sounds like 'your' keeper is HFS oriented.
--

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (03/19/86)

In article <10804@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) types:
> In article <708@puff.UUCP> hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:
> >In article <10688@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) types:
> >> In article <45@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
> >> >
> >.....procedure to modify finder to make the startup disk remain the default
> >>
> >> NOTE: All of this is for Finder 4.1 ONLY, neither Keeper, nor the patch above
> >> work with other (older or newer) versions of the Finder!!!!
> >>
> >>  Jim Budler
> >
> >Keeper works with Finder 5.1, as I use it on my Lisa and Profile every day.
> >I don't know how anyone with a large desktop file (mine is 132K) could ever do
> >without it.  Does anyone know who wrote it?
>
> It doesn't work with my Mac512, system 3 finder 5.1.  It runs and the Mac Bombs
> while closing the next application. Perhaps we have different versions, or
> we are talking about different programs entirely.
>
> The one I am talking about keeps the boot drive in place on a given
> disk, whether you run an application off another disk containing a system
> file or not. Sounds like 'your' keeper is HFS oriented.
> --
>  Jim Budler
>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>  (408) 749-5806
>  Usenet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb
>  Compuserve:	72415,1200

	Here's what my Keeper does. On a 512K or larger machine, it will keep
the desktop file and the Finder in RAM, the upshot being that no matter how
large a desktop file you have or how many files you have, quitting to the
Finder is nearly instantaneous.  This program works particularly well with
hard disks (i.e. large desktop files). I downloaded it from the MacInternationalBBS and would LOVE to know who wrote it. I have discovered a couple of problems
with it: one is with WayStation 2.1 (a minifinder substitute) and one deals
with using the font/da mover and adding/removing fonts and da's. (you don't
see a reduction of the size of the system file, and you can crash by trying
to access a DA that is not in the system anymore). I have been using it for
two weeks now, on both a Lisa 2 with a 10 meg profile and Finder 5.1/System
3.0 and a Mac Plus with Hard Disk 20 and same System/Finder. I have not tried
it extensively on a 512K Mac, and wouldn't even think of trying it on a 128K
Mac. I have also not tried it with other Finders and Systems. I do not believe
it is dependant on HFS, as I'm running MFS on the Lisa and HFS on the Mac
Plus.

 =============================
|---------------------------- |	Robert J. Hammen
|- =================  ------- |	Manta Software Corp.
|- ==             ==  ------- |	U. of Wisc. CS Dept.
|- ==             ==  ------- |	U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.
|- ==             ==  ------- |
|- ==             ==  ------- |	USENET: {ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!uwvax
|  ==             ==          |		/		      \
|  =================   ----== |	!gumby!hammen  		 !puff!hammen
|                           + |
 ============================= 	hammen@{PUFF.WISC.EDU,GUMBY.WISC.EDU}
|                         ==  |
 =============================		USNAIL: 45 N. Orchard St.
 Call the Manta BBS! 24 hrs.			Madison WI 53715
(715)832-7420	      300/1200/2400		AT&T:	(608)251-2846

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (03/21/86)

I have run Keeper on a 512K Mac with an HD20 under HFS and had no problems.  I
even ran Switcher afterward to find out how much memory it took.  Quitting from
the Switcher was fine...  I downloaded Keeper from net.sources.mac.

-Chris
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton