[net.micro.mac] scale drawings in MacPaint?

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (C Blesch) (03/18/86)

I'm a new Macintosh user, so excuse me if this question asks the
obvious or covers previously discussed material.

Can MacPaint be used to construct scale drawings, such as floor
plans, lot surveys, elevations, etc?  There's something under the
"goodies" menu called "grid", and when I've activated it, nothing
has happened.  I would assume it would give me a scaled grid.
I didn't find anything in my Apple documentation, and I only saw
a brief mention of the grid in a third-party book.

I know about MacDraw, but I'd rather not invest in it right now if
MacPaint can do the job.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Love my new Mac . . .
Carl Blesch

rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/20/86)

In article <692@hlwpc.UUCP> cb@hlwpc.UUCP (C Blesch) writes:
>Can MacPaint be used to construct scale drawings, such as floor
>plans, lot surveys, elevations, etc?  There's something under the
>"goodies" menu called "grid", and when I've activated it, nothing
>has happened.  I would assume it would give me a scaled grid.

It does indeed give you a grid, but an invisible one.  Grid forces
the pointer to move a set number of pixels in any direction each time
you move the mouse.  This in effect means you are working with a grid instead of
a totally free-form blank space.  Very useful when trying to line up screen
objects and text that have been moved around.

I don't know if that will help you solve your problem, but you should
find this feature very handy in any case.

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (03/23/86)

> There's something under the
> "goodies" menu called "grid", and when I've activated it, nothing
> has happened.  I would assume it would give me a scaled grid.
> I didn't find anything in my Apple documentation, and I only saw
> a brief mention of the grid in a third-party book.

from the MacPaint manual, page 25:

GRID in the GOODIES menu is also a constraint.  It allows drawing, typing,
or moving a selection only along the lines of an invisible grid.

> Can MacPaint be used to construct scale drawings, such as floor
> plans, lot surveys, elevations, etc?

You can draw most anything (limited by the resolution available), but it's
not much fun to manipulate "objects".  Try MacDraw (get a demo from someone).