[net.micro.mac] INFO-MAC Goodies...

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (03/09/86)

As I  suspect  many  of  you  have  noticed,  INFO-MAC Digest has
returned with a  vengeance, giving all sorts of tidbits about neat
new programs available in the INFO-MAC archive.

However, few of these  seem  to show up on net.sources.mac, and I
know of no way for many of us to directly access INFO-MAC.

IS there such a way for us VMS-bound users?

IS there some formal way  that  such  things  are  supposed to be
automatically ported to net.sources.mac?

How can we get copies of these goodies on a regular basis?

All comments welcome!

Jeff

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (03/09/86)

In article <1584@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>As I  suspect  many  of  you  have  noticed,  INFO-MAC Digest has
>returned with a  vengeance, giving all sorts of tidbits about neat
>new programs available in the INFO-MAC archive.
>
>However, few of these  seem  to show up on net.sources.mac, and I
>know of no way for many of us to directly access INFO-MAC.
>
>IS there some formal way  that  such  things  are  supposed to be
>automatically ported to net.sources.mac?
>
>How can we get copies of these goodies on a regular basis?

I don't know of any gatewaying between info-mac and net.sources.mac.  It
would be great if someone could set that up.

On a smaller basis, what happened to the Tech notes that were going to be
posted to net.sources.mac?  I ftp'd them all from sumex yesterday, and am
willing to post them, but someone else was going to earlier.  Should I post?
They total 578K of hqx right now, but this would also give me a chance to try
the new PackIt-II and see what kind of compression we get on them.

Happy Maccing!

--chris
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) (03/10/86)

I, too, have wished in vain for net.sources.mac postings of all those
"archived on SUMEX" goodies.  Is there any way for 'the rest of us' to
get at them?

--
  Bill Arnett             		{ucbvax,nsc}!tolerant!maddog
  Tolerant Systems, Inc. San Jose

berner@Navajo.ARPA (William Berner) (03/10/86)

In article <1584@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>As I  suspect  many  of  you  have  noticed,  INFO-MAC Digest has
>returned with a  vengeance, giving all sorts of tidbits about neat
>new programs available in the INFO-MAC archive.
>
>However, few of these  seem  to show up on net.sources.mac, and I
>know of no way for many of us to directly access INFO-MAC.
>
>IS there such a way for us VMS-bound users?

We are trying to figure out a long-term solution concerning
archiving of info-mac software.  Ideally, all of the Info-mac stuff
would be posted to net.sources.  Currently, I am asking those who
post to Info-Mac to also post to net.sources if possible, or to ask
someone they know to post it if they can't.

I have been very busy, but in the near future I may try to re-post
to net.sources myself.

Bill Berner
Info-Mac Moderator

lewis@axiom.UUCP (Lewis Gordon Pringle Jr.) (03/13/86)

berner@Navajo.ARPA (William Berner) writes:
>We are trying to figure out a long-term solution concerning
>archiving of info-mac software.  Ideally, all of the Info-mac stuff
>would be posted to net.sources.  Currently, I am asking those who
>post to Info-Mac to also post to net.sources if possible, or to ask
>someone they know to post it if they can't.

I found a source archival service provided by the machine 'research'.
You send mail to an account 'netlib@research', and a program reads
your mail, and sends you a list of software available.  Then, you can
send another request for software, and it automatically sends you the
software.

This mechanism for archiving sources for the USENET would have the
disadvantage of involving lots of sending the same thing through one
site (if the program is popular), but would have MANY BIG advandtages.

No (or little) moderator intervention would be neccessary.  What ever
mechanism you use to put stuff on SUMEX could be modified to make the
same software available to the USENET.  While some things are very
popular, and you might get n copies of program X going to machine Y,
many programs are not so popular.  These get sent all over the
universe, and few people even try them.  For these programs, a
user-request mechanism would be a big win.

Also, what about all of those reposts, and people asking for the nth
time, 'now what is the latest version of frob, and how can I get it?',
or 'I am new to the net ... Where can I get a copy of binhex?'

Its not clear to me if the tradoffs between posting news to
net.sources.mac vs. this on-demand sending of stuff is the best.
Perhaps some compromise of the two methods would work out best.

						Appropriate Remarks,
								Lewis.
--

----------
The facts expressed herein are subject to change without notice.

UUCP:	lewis@axiom@{linus,harvard}.UUCP

liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) (03/14/86)

>berner@Navajo.ARPA (William Berner) writes:
>We are trying to figure out a long-term solution concerning
>archiving of info-mac software.  Ideally, all of the Info-mac stuff
>would be posted to net.sources.  Currently, I am asking those who
>post to Info-Mac to also post to net.sources if possible, or to ask
>someone they know to post it if they can't.

PLEASE do not x-post info-mac software to net.sources!!  I (and a number
of other people I know about) have a large enough problem pruning the
garbage out of net.sources.  We have limited disk space around here.

liz

sml@wdl1.UUCP (03/15/86)

I have sent mail to the info-mac moderator offering to help set up
a gateway of sources from info-mac to net.sources.mac.

Steve Lazarus			(415) 852-4203
Ford Aerospace			...{fortune,sun}!wdl1!sml (UUCP)
MS X-20				sml@ford-wdl1	    (ARPA)
3939 Fabian Way
Palo Alto, CA  94303

berner@Navajo.ARPA (William Berner) (03/17/86)

In article <367@unirot.UUCP> liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) writes:

>PLEASE do not x-post info-mac software to net.sources!!  I (and a number
>of other people I know about) have a large enough problem pruning the
>garbage out of net.sources.  We have limited disk space around here.
>
>liz

Is this to say that all of the stuff posted to info-mac is garbage?  Or
are you worried about double-postings, or what?  Certainly it seems that
some of the utilities posted to info-mac would be worthy of posting to
net.sources.

Bill Berner
Info-Mac Moderator

bjones@dartvax.UUCP (Bruce Jones) (03/19/86)

In article <445@Navajo.ARPA> berner@Navajo.UUCP (William Berner) writes:
>In article <367@unirot.UUCP> liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) writes:
>>
>>PLEASE do not x-post info-mac software to net.sources!!  I (and a number
>>of other people I know about) have a large enough problem pruning the
>>garbage out of net.sources.  We have limited disk space around here.
>>
>>liz
>
>Is this to say that all of the stuff posted to info-mac is garbage?  Or
>are you worried about double-postings, or what?  Certainly it seems that
>some of the utilities posted to info-mac would be worthy of posting to
>net.sources.

Please send it.  I am mailed INFO-MAC regularly, and am always upset that the
software mentioned is not availiable to me.  if it were posted to net.sources
I would have access to some very useful sounding programs.  I assume that
there would be no double-postings.

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (03/24/86)

> In article <445@Navajo.ARPA> berner@Navajo.UUCP (William Berner) writes:
> >In article <367@unirot.UUCP> liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) writes:
> >>
> >>PLEASE do not x-post info-mac software to net.sources!!  I (and a number
> >>of other people I know about) have a large enough problem pruning the
> >>garbage out of net.sources.  We have limited disk space around here.
> >>
> >>liz
> >
> >Is this to say that all of the stuff posted to info-mac is garbage?  Or
> >are you worried about double-postings, or what?  Certainly it seems that
> >some of the utilities posted to info-mac would be worthy of posting to
> >net.sources.
>

> Please send it.  I am mailed INFO-MAC regularly, and am always upset that the
> software mentioned is not availiable to me.  if it were posted to net.sources
> I would have access to some very useful sounding programs.  I assume that
> there would be no double-postings.

	Then it should be posted to net.sources.mac NOT net.sources.
--
					Jim Scardelis, SA
					{hjuxa,ihnp4}!wcom!frodo

#include <favorite disclaimer>

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (03/26/86)

]] writer says "please don't post to net.sources"
] writer says "please do!"

If you must post mac-only items, please confine the same to
"net.sources.mac", not "net.sources".  This will enable those persons
wishing to find the mac stuff to find it more easily.  It will also
make it easier for those sites which do not need the mac stuff to
expire it seperately and faster.

--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews