[net.micro.mac] Mac ROM Upgrade Compatibility?

jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (James Meiss) (03/28/86)

	I have heard that quite a few programs are not compatable with
the new ROM's, or is it just the HFS....
For example, rumor has it that "Dollars and Cents" simply does not work,
and Aztec C works only if it is in the root of the directory.
Does anyone know whether this is true, and what other applications do
not work, and of plans to upgrade them?

						Jim Meiss
						ut-sally!ut-ngp!jdm

bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) (03/31/86)

> 	I have heard that quite a few programs are not compatable with
> the new ROM's, or is it just the HFS....
> For example, rumor has it that "Dollars and Cents" simply does not work,
> and Aztec C works only if it is in the root of the directory.
> Does anyone know whether this is true, and what other applications do
> not work, and of plans to upgrade them?
>
> 						Jim Meiss
> 						ut-sally!ut-ngp!jdm

 I can attest to that ....I just had my 512 upgraded with the ROMs and the
drive and Dollars and Sense doesn't do a thing, nor does Copy II (I wouldn't
have expected that to work), and Ultima III.

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (04/01/86)

>  I can attest to that ....I just had my 512 upgraded with the ROMs and the
> drive and Dollars and Sense doesn't do a thing, nor does Copy II (I wouldn't
> have expected that to work), and Ultima III.

You need Copy II Mac V5.0 or later.

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/01/86)

In article <4369@dartvax.UUCP> bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) writes:

>> 	I have heard that quite a few programs are not compatable with
>> the new ROM's, or is it just the HFS....
>> 						ut-sally!ut-ngp!jdm

> I can attest to that ....I just had my 512 upgraded with the ROMs and the
>drive and Dollars and Sense doesn't do a thing, nor does Copy II (I wouldn't
>have expected that to work), and Ultima III.

Copy ][ Mac 5.10 came out a week ago and handles not only the new ROMs but
800K drives as well.  MacTools 5.10 is the exact same as 4.51, though.
Copy ][ 5.0 was supposed to work with HFS, but I couldn't detect any difference.

HDUtil is still the best for my money by far, in my opinion.

-Chris

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with anyone above, but I'll have to check
about my cats.
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA  or
...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (04/02/86)

In article <4369@dartvax.UUCP>, bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) writes:

> > 	I have heard that quite a few programs are not compatable with
> > the new ROM's, or is it just the HFS....
> > 						Jim Meiss
> > 						ut-sally!ut-ngp!jdm
>
>  I can attest to that ....I just had my 512 upgraded with the ROMs and the
> drive and Dollars and Sense doesn't do a thing, nor does Copy II (I wouldn't
> have expected that to work), and Ultima III.
          			   ^^^^^^^^^^
        I talked to the guy who wrote the Mac version of Ultima (tm) ]I[.
Origin tested it on a mac+ as soon as they got one.  It did work.  (even the
arrow keys on the mac+ keyboard worked.  He got brownie points for that one.)
I can't help wondering if you are talking of Ultima (tm) ][, (but I think
that works also.)  Maybe Origin was running an uncopy-protected version or
something.  PERHAPS someone else with a mac+ and Ultima (tm) ]I[ can
confirm that it doesn't work and MAIL me the results.
	I'll relay this message to the mac version author when I next talk to
him.
	By the way, Ultima (tm) IV for the mac is in the works, but don't
look for it on your computer store's shelves this week (or next, or...).

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David W. Berry) (04/03/86)

I havn't had any trouble running Dollars and Sense on my Monster
Mac which was recently upgraded with the Drive/ROM upgrade.
--

	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.UUCP

	I'm only here for the beer.

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (04/05/86)

I just had my Macintosh 512K upgraded to a Macintosh+512K, i.e., I have the
new ROMs and the 800K drive, and INSTANTLY hit a really strange bug.

Running finder 5.2, and system 3.1.1, I fired up Consulair's Edit(ver 4.51).
RAMcaching was enabled at 192Kb, and I brought up the control panel, and was
greeted with a dialog box saying:

	"The Memory allocator is in deep, deep trouble.
	 Close a file immediately"

When I clicked OK, it brought up most of the Control Panel, and then gave me
the same dialog box, and upon the second click of OK, it gave up and left
the remaining part of the control panel blank, except the blinking cursor
was quietly blinking with no text or controls around it.

After this I turned  down the Cache and the problem went away.

A couble of other interesting things of note are that the DA's ZoomIdle and
LSR's Idle (seemingly) can't be installed with version 3.0 of the Font/DA Mover.
When you try to install them, you get a bizzarre error, and when you try to
de-install them the F/DA mover tells you they they are in the order of 4Mb
large....

				Hmmm.....
			David HM Spector
			NYU/acf Systems Group