[net.micro.mac] Warp 9 & Mirror Technologies Hard Disks

rjs@trwrba.UUCP (Robert J. Suyehara) (03/27/86)

Are Warp 9 and Mirror Technologies the same or related
companies?  In the April issue of Macworld both companies
use the same reader service card number (406) and are
both located in Minnesota with almost identical zip codes.
Also, their internal and external 20 meg hard drives look
very similar (Warp 9 has a picture in the March 24th Infoworld).
Does anyone know who makes their drives? Is the software the
only difference?  Warp 9's Photon 20 External drive lists
for $795...(Infoworld ad).

I'm just curious and would like to know for future reference.

Bob Suyehara

Standard disclaimers apply.

ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (David Whiteman) (03/28/86)

The author of the base article asks whether the Warp 9 & Mirror
Technologies Hard disks are made by the same company. -- They are
not.  In fact one of the designers of the Mirror Technologies Hard
Disk has posted several articles on other boards explaining  all the
problems with the Warp 9 drive,  and explaining haw the Mirror
drive is better than the Warp 9 drive.

A friend of mine recently called three of the four internal hard
drive companies, and decided on the Warp 9 drive.  His final
criteria was price and ease of installation.  He realized that the
Warp 9 may be slower than the other internal hard drives, but it
would still be faster than any external hard drive.

--
----
David Whiteman,

wrs@wb1.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/31/86)

In article <1959@trwrba.UUCP>, rjs@trwrba writes:
> Are Warp 9 and Mirror Technologies the same or related
> companies?  ...
> Bob Suyehara

Just to fan the flames a bit, the formatter program that came with my Warp
20 prints the heading [paraphrased] "Copyright 1986 DMS Design / Modified
for Mirror Technologies".  I kind of wondered at the time...

- Walt
--
    Walter Smith, Math/CS undergraduate, Carnegie-Mellon University
uucp: ...!seismo!cmu-cs-k!wrs		      arpa: wrs@wb1.cs.cmu.edu

bass@dmsd.UUCP (John Bass) (04/01/86)

In article <265@wb1.cs.cmu.edu>, wrs@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Walter Smith) writes:
> Are Warp 9 and Mirror Technologies the same or related
> companies?  ...

Both firms are operated by the same group of investors and senior management.
--

John Bass (DBA: Fastime, DBA:DMS Design)
DMS Design (System Design, Performance and Arch Consultants)

frascado@umn-cs.UUCP (Gregory Frascadore) (04/07/86)

In article <2497@sdcc6.UUCP> ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (David Whiteman) writes:
>The author of the base article asks whether the Warp 9 & Mirror
>Technologies Hard disks are made by the same company. -- They are
>not.  In fact one of the designers of the Mirror Technologies Hard
>Disk has posted several articles on other boards explaining  all the
>problems with the Warp 9 drive,  and explaining haw the Mirror
>drive is better than the Warp 9 drive.

Well maybe they are a different company, but I visited the Warp 9 offices
and talked to some of the engineers and secretaries and saw the assembly line
and from what I saw and heard Warp 9 and Mirror share the same offices,
engineers, assembly line, company owner, phone number. Both drives are
based on the MacSCSI interface from Dr Dobb's Journal.  The Warp 9 is
shipped with software that starts with a Mirror Tech. copyright.  Maybe
they ARE different, but they sure are friendly :-)

>Warp 9 may be slower than the other internal hard drives, but it
>would still be faster than any external hard drive.

You would hope so, but alas this is FALSE!!, The warp 9 is the slowest
hard drive on the market including all the the externals.  Using the
Brecher disk benchmark posted to Compuserve and Usenet, the warp 9
has times of 14000+, 14000+, and 380.  I can't remember the exact times
since I don't have them in front of me but these are about right. I know since
I performed the benchmark.

--
-------
Gregory Frascadore