[net.micro.mac] Init 800k disk as MFS???

phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) (04/02/86)

I know you can init a 400K disk as an HFS volume by holding down the OPTION
key during init, but....

Can you init an 800K volume as an MFS volume????  I am upgrading as a
stopgap method of getting 800K on a development floppy and the MFS structure
does what I need,  the HFS would confuse the issue...

Any Ideas??????

jmvm@oakhill.UUCP (John VanMunster) (04/04/86)

In article <227@sivax.UUCP> phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) writes:
>Can you init an 800K volume as an MFS volume????  I am upgrading as a

I know of only one way; Erase the volume from within MacServe's(TM) Manager
program selecting MFS option....Works great and uses a more efficient
directory scheme.

			       John VM

kim@analog.UUCP (Kim Helliwell ) (04/04/86)

> I know you can init a 400K disk as an HFS volume by holding down the OPTION
> key during init, but....
>
> Can you init an 800K volume as an MFS volume????  I am upgrading as a
> stopgap method of getting 800K on a development floppy and the MFS structure
> does what I need,  the HFS would confuse the issue...
>
> Any Ideas??????

I have no ideas, but so far, I have not been successful in INITing a 400K
disk as an HFS volume--I've tried holding the option key down and NOT holding
the option key, and I've tried both things in the DS drive and the SS drive--
nothing works.  I have the new ROM, finder 5.2, System 3.1.1 and of course,
the 800K internal drive.  Any ideas??

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (04/06/86)

In article <212@analog.UUCP> kim@analog.UUCP (Kim Helliwell          ) writes:
>I have no ideas, but so far, I have not been successful in INITing a 400K
>disk as an HFS volume--I've tried holding the option key down and NOT holding
>the option key, and I've tried both things in the DS drive and the SS drive--
>nothing works.  I have the new ROM, finder 5.2, System 3.1.1 and of course,
>the 800K internal drive.  Any ideas??

You must hold down the option key while accepting the NAME for the disk.
After the actual initialization of the disks is completed.
I have done this, it does work.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

ragge@ttds.UUCP (Ragge Sundblad) (04/09/86)

In article <227@sivax.UUCP> phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) writes:
>Can you init an 800K volume as an MFS volume????  I am upgrading as a

Boot your Plus with the old system (Finder 4.1, System (I think) 2.0),
do "Erase Disk", click OK, and voila, 800K-MFS-disk! But
2K-allocation-blocks, not to prefer.
Good luck
	/ragge

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/11/86)

In article <11285@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <212@analog.UUCP> kim@analog.UUCP (Kim Helliwell          ) writes:
>>I have no ideas, but so far, I have not been successful in INITing a 400K
>>disk as an HFS volume--I've tried holding the option key down and NOT holding
>>the option key, and I've tried both things in the DS drive and the SS drive--
>>nothing works.  I have the new ROM, finder 5.2, System 3.1.1 and of course,
>>the 800K internal drive.  Any ideas??
>
>You must hold down the option key while accepting the NAME for the disk.
>After the actual initialization of the disks is completed.
>I have done this, it does work.

Minor clarification: when initializing a disk FOR THE FIRST TIME holding down
the option key when you hit return after typing the name of the disk will
force HFS.  For disks already formatted as MFS, you must hold the option key
down and select Erase Disk; further holding of the option key may not be
necessary, but I held it the whole time and it worked on my SS drive, new
ROMs, System 3.1.1, Finder 5.2.

I must agree that this option business isn't the most intuitive in the world...

-Chris
--
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD