[net.micro.mac] Survey on Future Macintosh Architec

wmd@kran.UUCP (03/27/86)

/* Written  5:01 pm  Mar 26, 1986 by rupp@tetra.UUCP in kran:net.micro.mac */
Apple //'s (e's and c's) than Macs, if I am not mistaken.  It is true that
the business market has been lost to IBM, but there still is an Apple ][
market, and software still being developed.
/* End of text from kran:net.micro.mac */

A better way to phrase the above would be:

If the business market has been lost to IBM, it is entirely due to their
own (the business market's) stupidity.  An IBM PC can do everything a Mac
can if you're willing to pay the bucks for the add ons and put up with the
inconsistancies between software packages.  But a smart businessman will
say, "Look, for the price of this AT, I can buy two Mac Pluses and achieve
the same functionality but double the productivity."  But we know there
is a lot more conservative businessmen than smart innovative businessmen
around.  Luckily the monetary constraints placed on academia has forced our
administration here to look at the pcs' price/performance ratios and not
their nameplates.

Malcolm Duncan
Krannert Executive Education
Purdue University
UUCP:  ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!kran!wmd

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (04/01/86)

>A better way to phrase the above would be:
>
>If the business market has been lost to IBM, it is entirely due to their
>own (the business market's) stupidity.  An IBM PC can do everything a Mac
>can if you're willing to pay the bucks for the add ons and put up with the
>inconsistancies between software packages.  But a smart businessman will
>say, "Look, for the price of this AT, I can buy two Mac Pluses and achieve
>the same functionality but double the productivity."  But we know there
>is a lot more conservative businessmen than smart innovative businessmen

Ah yes, but price per function is not the dominating factor in business
choices.  It is service from vendor followed by stability of developed
applications (i.e., if I buy a system and develop an application on it,
will the equipment be supported three months or three years from now???
<the answer in Apple's case is: no> ). The reason why IBM is dominant is
not their obsolete, expensive technology, it is that (a) you can get
help from IBM and (b) they make every effort to provide upward compatibility.

hsgj@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dan Green) (04/02/86)

<>
The previous poster mentioned that the business community was conservative
(and stupid) because business people would rather get a PC-AT then a Mac +.
While I like the Mac, in going by the pricelists here, a PC-AT with 20megs
hard disk is ~ $4000, whereas a Mac+ is ~ $2800.  Now if you want megs of
disk on your mac, you have to shell out another $1200 bringing the total
to $4000 for a Mac+.  Hence PC-AT with 20 megs and Mac+ with 20megs are price
comparible.  Considering that many businesses already have data in Lotus
or WordStar format, it makes sense for them to use a PC-AT where they
can still use their data without buying new software.
   Perhaps this discussion is futile as some people love PC's and others
love Macs.  However I could not sit idle while someone accused the generic
"business community" of being dumb.
--
Dan Green    Bitnet:  hsgj@cornella.bitnet
---------    UUCP:    {decvax,ihnp4,allegra,vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj

sumacc@uwmacc.UUCP (Rick Keir) (04/03/86)

In article <457@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> hsgj@batcomputer.UUCP (Dan Green) writes:
>While I like the Mac, in going by the pricelists here, a PC-AT with 20megs
>hard disk is ~ $4000, whereas a Mac+ is ~ $2800.  Now if you want megs of
>disk on your mac, you have to shell out another $1200 bringing the total
>to $4000 for a Mac+.

And going by the pricelists for Apple and IBM sales to UW,
the price for a 20 Mb Mac+ is $2629, while a 30 Mb PC AT is $4166.
(UW doesn't buy the 20 Mb PC AT any longer).

After seeing the price changes which a company rep can make in
a single 60 minute meeting, I have concluded that the list price
and/or the opening price that you are quoted is of interest only
to collectors of historical artifacts;  it serves no other purpose.

This is true of IBM, DEC, almost everyone.
--
Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, Rm 3130 MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (04/05/86)

>> >If the business market has been lost to IBM, it is entirely due to their
>> >own (the business market's) stupidity.  An IBM PC can do everything a Mac
>> >can if you're willing to pay the bucks for the add ons and put up with the
>> >inconsistancies between software packages.
>>
>> Ah yes, but price per function is not the dominating factor in business
>> choices.
>> The reason why IBM is dominant ...
>
>I'm a confirmed Mac owner and hacker, but in my opinion, the reason
>why the Mac will fail in its challenge to the PC is that it's too
>little, too late.
>
>By the time Apple comes up with a versatile, slotted machine, with a
>reasonable speed hard disk (they did finally fix the keyboard), the
>battle for the major corporate marketplace will be over, and IBM will

I have spent a lot of time fighting the wars and I am really convinced
that it takes overwhelmingly better technology to displace IBM. The reason
is mostly that IBM's service offers insurance. The Mac's advantage is
that it is so user friendly. I still think that it is a better choice
for the casual business user who doesn't want to become a hacker. However,
people who choose other than IBM or DEC end up all alone when the
problems come. What a lot of us forget is that a programmer costs a company
$60-100K a year (counting overhead). A few bucks more or less for the
machine doesn't really matter if it means that the people who use the
machine will be able to use it for awhile after it is finally programmed
and users trained.

Larry Mazlack
mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu

waddingt@umn-cs.UUCP (Jake Waddington ) (04/10/86)

In article <433@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
>I'm a confirmed Mac owner and hacker, but in my opinion, the reason
>why the Mac will fail in its challenge to the PC is that it's too
>little, too late.
>
>A 1mb, 68000-based machine with a hard disk for $4,000 in 1984 would have
>creamed the market.  Or a 512kb machine with floppies at $3,000 in 1983.
>Or true multi-tasking in 1985.

I agree. But by extension doesn't that make IBM's 8086 or Risk like machine
with a plain DOS system very boring in the 1980's !

Paul Fink
ihnp4!umn-cs!waddingt

baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines) (04/12/86)

>>A better way to phrase the above would be:
>>
>>If the business market has been lost to IBM, it is entirely due to their
>>own (the business market's) stupidity.  An IBM PC can do everything a Mac
>>can if you're willing to pay the bucks for the add ons and put up with the
>>inconsistancies between software packages.  But a smart businessman will
>>say, "Look, for the price of this AT, I can buy two Mac Pluses and achieve
>>the same functionality but double the productivity."  But we know there
>>is a lot more conservative businessmen than smart innovative businessmen
>
>Ah yes, but price per function is not the dominating factor in business
>choices.  It is service from vendor followed by stability of developed
>applications (i.e., if I buy a system and develop an applicatmon on it,
>will the equipment be supported three months or three years from now???
><the answer in Apple's case is: no> ). The reason why IBM is dominant is
>not their obsolete, expensive technology, it is that (a) you can get
>help from IBM and (b) they make every effort to provide upward compatibility.

Apple Computer's strength is that it is capable of designing better solutions,
instead of saying "Well, more businesses use IBM, let's provide the same".