[net.micro.mac] Mac hard disks?

d@alice.UucP (Daniel Rosenberg) (04/10/86)

Hello:

Can anyone give me recommendations for a Mac hard disk drive?
It's for our school newspaper, so considerations are:

1) Price.
2) Storage capacity isn't so important. 10 Mb is ok, 20 Mb will do great.
3) Speed.
4) Where does it plug in? No ports on the back are free without cable
   madness (this is a standard Macintosh, and was 128K until a few days
   ago. We're at 512K now.)

Any help appeciated. Please reply by EMAIL (to address below.)

--
############# Dan Rosenberg ### CE @# AT&T Bell Labs, Murray^Hill ##########
#         [ These opinions are necessarily mine, not my emp/o\yer's. ]     #

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (04/12/86)

In article <5286@alice.uUCp>, d@alice.UucP (Daniel Rosenberg) writes:
> Hello:
>
> Can anyone give me recommendations for a Mac hard disk drive?
> It's for our school newspaper, so considerations are:
>
> 1) Price.
> 2) Storage capacity isn't so important. 10 Mb is ok, 20 Mb will do great.
> 3) Speed.
> 4) Where does it plug in? No ports on the back are free without cable
>    madness (this is a standard Macintosh, and was 128K until a few days
>    ago. We're at 512K now.)
>
> Any help appeciated. Please reply by EMAIL (to address below.)
>
> --
> ############# Dan Rosenberg ### CE @# AT&T Bell Labs, Murray^Hill ##########
> #         [ These opinions are necessarily mine, not my emp/o\yer's. ]     #
> ## UUCP: {ihnp4 || research || allegra}!alice!d #AT&T: 201/582\9428 (work)##

	You might want to look into the Paradise hard drives. You can get
a Paradise 10 Meg drive for $600 and a 20 Meg for $800. They are not as fast
as the more expensive internal HD's but the speed is not bad either.
	They use the printer port on the back of the Mac, but they provide
an extra port on the back of the HD for your printer cable so no cable
swapping is required, and they also provide a print spooler.
	I have used a Paradise 10 Meg on one of my Macs for about 9 months
now and am very happy with it's performance. For the very low price it's a
great deal.
		Peter Espen