[net.micro.mac] Serial port question

tim@mtxinu.UUCP (Tim Wood) (04/07/86)

Can anyone help with a Sun-Mac connection problem?  We have a Mac that
we want to connect to a Sun via serial line.  Our normal terminals are
connected to the Sun with an RS-232 connector that has an RJ-11
(modular phone jack) input.  I need to obtain such a connector for the
Mac, but with the Mac serial port 9-pin plug on one end instead of the
RS232 plug.  The wires within the connector need to be connected for
Transmit Data, Receive Data, Ground, and Data Terminal Ready.

If anyone knows how to obtain such a connector, please let me know.
Alternatively, if you know of an RS-232-in to 9-pin-out connector,
please contact me.

Thanks a lot.

--Tina de Benedictis, Sybase, Berkeley

...ucbvax!mtxinu!sybase!tina

wood@ut-sally.UUCP (George W. Wood) (04/15/86)

I have included a warning from Sun about connecting Macs and Suns.  Would
Sun please post a cable that uses a minimum number of wires to connect
a Mac and a Sun?  I understand that the printer cable does the trick.
The question is: Is there an easier way?
George Wood
wood@sally.utexas.edu