[net.micro.mac] MacPlus 8 Pin to DB25 for in house Terminal Emulation!

frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) (04/07/86)

Does anyone know what would be the
correct pin connection for connecting a
Macintosh Plus 8 Pin to a Db25 male
connector which would plug the Mac in
to an inhouse network as a Vt100?

I have been pulling my hair out trying
to figure out what the old DB9's
connection to a DB25 jack should be.

I reluctantly coughed up $40.00 for
Apple's 8pin to DB9. Of course the
cable only works my HP laserjet printer
and nothing else. I again had to hot
wire my own modem cable!!

I called Apple and they said to follow
the pin out instructions in the
ImagewriterII's manual but this doesn't
seem to work or make sense even when I
traced the leads on the new adapter
8Pin to DB9 cable.

As I recall in previous times,Apple
Canada, misdirected me on my initial
wiring up of the DB9's to a DB25.It
seems that we are doomed to go thru
another trial and error cable period
,with Apple, AGAIN!!.

I sometimes think that Apple uses it's
customers to figure out what the proper
connections actually are!!

Regardless, does anyone, out there,
know what the wiring would be for
connectin of the 8Pin to a DB25 for
terminal emulation with the Mac Plus??

Deparate!! and patiently awaiting a
reply! After all it has only been 2
months since my Mac has sat staring at
the DB25 outlet to its bigger Vax
brother!!

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/15/86)

In article <1830@dciem.UUCP> frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) writes:
>Does anyone know what would be the correct pin connection for connecting a
>Macintosh Plus 8 Pin to a Db25 male connector which would plug the Mac in
>to an inhouse network as a Vt100?
>
>I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the old DB9's
>connection to a DB25 jack should be.
>
>I reluctantly coughed up $40.00 for Apple's 8pin to DB9. Of course the
>cable only works my HP laserjet printer and nothing else. I again had to hot
>wire my own modem cable!!
>
>I called Apple and they said to follow the pin out instructions in the
>Imagewriter II's manual but this doesn't seem to work or make sense even when I
>traced the leads on the new adapter 8Pin to DB9 cable.
>
>Regardless, does anyone, out there, know what the wiring would be for
>connectin of the 8Pin to a DB25 for terminal emulation with the Mac Plus??

We've successfully hooked up a Mac+ to our Dataswitch/LAN using Apple's
8-9pin modem adaptor (since it came with the Mac+) and the following scheme
for DB-9 to DB-25: (which I'm using right now)

DB-9			DB-25
----			-----

3----*------------------7 GND
8----|
5--------->-------------2 TXD
9---------<-------------3 RXD
	   1K Ohm

The 1K ohm resistor is for safety only; the +12V could otherwise ground out and
possibly blow up either the terminal or the Mac's power supply.  This
configuration works fine for our standard terminal connectors (previously
Dataswitch, now Ungerman/Bass Net/One).

-Chris
--
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD