[net.micro.mac] Wanted: sources to MockTerm

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (04/02/86)

Many people at Dartmouth have used MockTerminal during courses to allow
them to run compilers and terminals at the same time. But, as our whole
campus is wired for AppleTalk, MockTerminal is not terribly useful for
the rest. So ... Does anyone have the sources for MockTerminal so I can
adapt it to run on AppleTalk? Networking I know, all the screen management
and DA stuff I do not. Any leads would be appreciated.

--
David C. Kovar
    USNET:      {ihnp4|linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

" It's the policies of debugging, it's the Programmer's Blues ...
  Programmer's Blues ... "

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (Martin Resnick) (04/03/86)

> Many people at Dartmouth have used MockTerminal during courses to allow
> them to run compilers and terminals at the same time. But, as our whole
> campus is wired for AppleTalk, MockTerminal is not terribly useful for
> the rest. So ... Does anyone have the sources for MockTerminal so I can
> adapt it to run on AppleTalk? Networking I know, all the screen management
> and DA stuff I do not. Any leads would be appreciated.

I don't think the sources for MockTerminal were ever released.
Check with Don Brown on the Mac User SIG on CompuServe (he is the author).

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (04/06/86)

the 'vt52' da was public domain, not shareware.  if someone knows the
author of it, maybe he might be able to help out.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) (04/07/86)

> the 'vt52' da was public domain, not shareware.  if someone knows the
> author of it, maybe he might be able to help out.
> --
> 	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
> 	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037
> 	{cbosgd,ihnp4,pyramid,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!joel
> 	gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA

bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) (04/07/86)

> > the 'vt52' da was public domain, not shareware.  if someone knows the
> > author of it, maybe he might be able to help out.
> > --
> > 	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
> > 	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037
> > 	{cbosgd,ihnp4,pyramid,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!joel
> > 	gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA
>
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

Whoops.....slippery fingers...my apologies for that last one.....

More MacPus for the MacPlus

     Today I tried to print a macwrite document on a double sided disk using
the new imagewriter file and the new system.  It printed fine for about ten
lines then it printed a blurb of @'s and then proceeded to feed all of my paper
through my imagewriter. I moved the document to another disk containing the old
system, old imagewriter file and proceeded to print the document without any
problem.  Anyone else have this problem??
    Another interesting quirk came when I tried to play Enchanted Scepters on
my new mac+.  The menus had no commands listed on them....just blank menus. I
knew a few of the keyboard commands for this game and they worked fine...the
game works....it just doesn't let you know what you can do or how you can do
it?

Comments, criticisms?

(Nothing fancy here)

oster@ucblapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (04/09/86)

In article <4416@dartvax.UUCP> bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) writes:
>     Today I tried to print a macwrite document on a double sided disk using
>the new imagewriter file and the new system.  It printed fine for about ten
>lines then it printed a blurb of @'s and then proceeded to feed all of my paper
>through my imagewriter. I moved the document to another disk containing the old
>system, old imagewriter file and proceeded to print the document without any
>problem.  Anyone else have this problem??

Apple did a lot of work in the new drivers to make more efficient use of
the Mac and of the 9600 baud wire.  It has been my experience that the new
printer drivers, because they are faster, are more sensitive to
handshaking than the old drivers.  The solution is to make certain your
imagewriter is handshaking with the Mac.  Check your imagewriter manual:
Dip Switch 2, switch 3 should be set for DTR handshaking (I think that it
should be OPEN, but the correct setting is given in the back of the
imagewriter manual.)  Note: this setting is not compatible with the
current release of the ThunderScan software -- you have to flip the switch
back to Xon/Xoff handshaking to use thunderscan, then back to DTR
handshaing to print reliably.

Now I've got a printing problem: I have an old copy of MacLabeler.  With
the new system software, the disk labels it prints are 1/4" to wide to fit
on the disk!  Anybody else notice anything like this?
--- David Phillip Oster
-----------------------  ``What do you look like when you aren't visualizing?''
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster

planting@uwvax.UUCP (W. Harry Plantinga) (04/09/86)

>      Today I tried to print a macwrite document on a double sided disk using
> the new imagewriter file and the new system.  It printed fine for about ten
> lines then it printed a blurb of @'s and then proceeded to feed all of. . .

I had that problem at first, too.  I solved it by flipping switch 2-3
on the imagewriter from closed to open (changing data protocol from
Data Terminal Ready to XON/XOFF).  I seem to remember having switched
it the other way months ago to make some nonstandard program work.
Apparently the new imagewriter file can't handle both protocols.

dudek@utai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) (04/17/86)

  Enchanted Sceptres works on the Mac+ if you run the (Mac+) installer
program on the ES diskette first.

--
	    Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
	    Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!dudek