[net.micro.mac] Control panel on Mac+

phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) (04/08/86)

Does anyone know what happened to the date/time change functions found on
old control panel.???   I just upgraded to Mac+, and the new control panel
seems to be missing them...?

Phil Hunt

barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) (04/11/86)

In article <236@sivax.UUCP> phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) writes:
>Does anyone know what happened to the date/time change functions found on
>old control panel.???   I just upgraded to Mac+, and the new control panel
>seems to be missing them...?

You can set the date and time using the Alarm Clock D/A.  My guess is
that they removed the date/time from the control panel to make room for
all the captions.

They've also removed the control panel option for setting the number of
flashes when menu bar items are selected (a pretty silly option, which I
doubt anyone will miss).  I'm not sure, but I think the mouse speed
control may also be gone.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (04/11/86)

Time setting is relegated to the Alarm Clock DA now.

However, do you know what is missing from the new Control Panel that *doesn't*
seem to have a replacement?  The menu blink options!

I noticed this after my upgrade when my menu selections started blinking
again (I had turned them off.)  I went to the CP and didn't find anything
to turn them off.  I had to use Ken Winograd's PRAM utility.

Anyone know why this was removed with NO replacement?

							Jeff

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!shulman
arpa:   SHULMAN@RUTGERS
Delphi: JEFFS
CIS:    76136,667

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) (04/12/86)

> Does anyone know what happened to the date/time change functions found on
> old control panel.???   I just upgraded to Mac+, and the new control panel
> seems to be missing them...?
>
> Phil Hunt

Phil, you need to use the Alarm clock DA to set the time and date now.
the clock was removed from the Control panel to make room for the Appletalk and
the cache controls....

			Norm Goodger
			Bridge Comm
			!bridge2!ngg

db@cbosgd.UUCP (J. Muir) (04/14/86)

In article <1558@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <236@sivax.UUCP> phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) writes:
>>Does anyone know what happened to the date/time change functions found on
>>old control panel.???   I just upgraded to Mac+, and the new control panel
>>seems to be missing them...?
>
>You can set the date and time using the Alarm Clock D/A.  My guess is
>that they removed the date/time from the control panel to make room for
>all the captions.
>
>They've also removed the control panel option for setting the number of
>flashes when menu bar items are selected (a pretty silly option, which I
>doubt anyone will miss).  I'm not sure, but I think the mouse speed
>control may also be gone.

Perhaps someone in Netland will implement a version of the old control
panel for the Mac+, as Real Hackers will certainly want to be able to
set the number of flashes on menu selects as well as mouse acceleration.
(0.5 :-))  Any takers? (Of course, Real Hackers have already figured out
an Obscure Way to accomplish these things.)

Seriously, though, I'd almost rather see the Alarm Clock disappear than
to remove items from the control panel.  How'd you like it if they took
the bass and treble controls off your stereo?

Dave Bursik/..cbosgd!db

darin@ut-dillo.UUCP (Darin Adler) (04/15/86)

In article <1995@cbosgd.UUCP>, db@cbosgd.UUCP (J. Muir):
>In article <1558@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin):
>> They've also removed the control panel option for setting the number of
>> flashes when menu bar items are selected (a pretty silly option, which I
>> doubt anyone will miss).  I'm not sure, but I think the mouse speed
>> control may also be gone.
>
> Seriously, though, I'd almost rather see the Alarm Clock disappear than
> to remove items from the control panel.  How'd you like it if they took
> the bass and treble controls off your stereo?

Mouse scaling is still around.  You see, almost no one turned mouse scaling
off, except for people with funny mouse-like devices, such as a digitizing
pad.  Thus, Apple renamed "mouse scaling off" to "Tablet" and "mouse scaling
on" to "Mouse".

I am *quite* annoyed, however, by the lack of menu flash control (I hate the
three cute little flashes whenever I pick an item, and it is annoying to
search out an old Control Panel or copy of PRAM just to set it).  Also, I
think the old Control Panel had a classy look to it that the new one is
missing.
--
Darin Adler	...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!ut-dillo!darin

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/15/86)

In article <1558@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>doubt anyone will miss).  I'm not sure, but I think the mouse speed
>control may also be gone.

The mouse speed control is now in a clearer form, namely the choice between
mouse and tablet controls.  This corresponds to 'accelerated' and linear
mouse action, respectively.

-Chris
--
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (04/17/86)

> >I'm not sure, but I think the mouse speed control may also be gone.

It's not: it's just relabeled.

> Perhaps someone in Netland will implement a version of the old control
> panel for the Mac+, as Real Hackers will certainly want to be able to
> set the number of flashes on menu selects as well as mouse acceleration.
> (0.5 :-))  Any takers? (Of course, Real Hackers have already figured out
> an Obscure Way to accomplish these things.)

Speaking of Real Hackers, can anyone tell me how to set the preferences
on an XL when I don't have any Lisa software?  I have an orphaned Lisa
that's been lying around the lab at work.  I'm running it with the
MacWorks 3.0 disk that came in last year's "May" supplement (no hard
disk, so no fear of creeping bugs).  I find the screen much too bright,
but I don't know how to adjust it without the Lisa Preferences program.
I'll accept methods involving LisaBug, or peeks/pokes from BASIC, or
*anything*!

Ephraim Vishniac
decvax!wanginst!wang!ephraim

dudek@utai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) (04/18/86)

  The clock setting functions from the old control panel have moved
into the alarm clock DA on the new system.
--
	    Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
	    Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!dudek

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (04/18/86)

In article <180@ut-dillo.UUCP> darin@ut-dillo.UUCP (Darin Adler) writes:
>Mouse scaling is still around.  You see, almost no one turned mouse scaling
>off, except for people with funny mouse-like devices, such as a digitizing
>pad.  Thus, Apple renamed "mouse scaling off" to "Tablet" and "mouse scaling
>on" to "Mouse".

Thanks.  I managed to figure out that this is what the Tablet option was
for myself.

>...  Also, I
>think the old Control Panel had a classy look to it that the new one is
>missing.

While I agree with this statement about the look of the old Control
Panel, I think Apple was correct in changing the style.  I remember the
first time I played with a Mac at a computer store.  I went into the
control panel, and had a little trouble deciphering some of the
pictures, especially the auto-repeat controls.  I walked across the room
and tried the control panel on the Lisa, and was pleasantly surprised
that it had English captions.  When I first tried the Mac+, I had the
same feeling.  I never understood why they removed them between the Lisa
and the Mac.
--

darin@ut-dillo.UUCP (04/19/86)

In article <1648@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) writes:
> ... it had English captions.  When I first tried the Mac+, I had the
> same feeling.  I never understood why they removed them between the Lisa
> and the Mac.

I have heard that Andy Hertzfeld wrote the Mac Control Panel on his own,
without a design.  Need I say more?
--
Darin Adler	...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!ut-dillo!darin

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/21/86)

In article <1648@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>...  I remember the
>first time I played with a Mac at a computer store.  I went into the
>control panel, and had a little trouble deciphering some of the
>pictures, especially the auto-repeat controls.  I walked across the room
>and tried the control panel on the Lisa, and was pleasantly surprised
>that it had English captions.  When I first tried the Mac+, I had the
>same feeling.  I never understood why they removed them between the Lisa
>and the Mac.

I believe this was a result of Steve Jobs' no-text-needed philosophy.
EVERYTHING was to be done with icons!  All-intuitive!  Anyone can use it!
Even 'a child' should figure it out.  I remember the article in BYTE describing
the Mac when it first came out noting that hardware-wise it was an
'international' machine--the sticker on the back was the only English on
the whole package (including the box!).

I personally like both--the old one was a bit 'cleaner', but the new one is
perhaps less ambiguous at times.  The new Tablet/Mouse choice is certainly
better!

-Chris