[net.micro.mac] 128k mac, hfs

quah@h-sc1.UUCP (danny quah) (04/20/86)

[a blank line about here]

Three quick questions: 1.  I have read both that a) it is *recommended* that
a 128k ram mac be memory-upgraded before the 800k disk drive and 128k
rom are installed, or b) a 128k ram mac simply will not work with HFS
and the new 800k drive and 128 rom's. (for instance, Bobker's article
p. 118 MacUser May 1986).  What permanent damage results from this?  I
am currently writing this on a thin Mac with hfs etc.  Everything's
working for me so far ...
                     2.  Has kermit after 0.8(33) shown up yet?  (I
remember reading on the net that its appearance was imminent but I may
have missed the posting.  0.8(33) does not seem to want to receive
onto 800k floppies although it does communicate ok under hfs.
                     3.  My friendly neighborhood store is still
distributing the "old" system and finder (ie System 3.0 and Finder
5.1, the deadly duo).  How did so many on the net get their new
S&F files, and does Apple now allow them to be posted? (I remember
chuq had an article on this ...)
--

--Danny
{decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!harvard!{h-sc1,h-sc4}!quah

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/23/86)

In article <1065@h-sc1.UUCP> quah@h-sc1.UUCP (danny quah) writes:
>Three quick questions: 1.  I have read both that a) it is *recommended* that
>a 128k ram mac be memory-upgraded before the 800k disk drive and 128k
>rom are installed, or b) a 128k ram mac simply will not work with HFS
>and the new 800k drive and 128 rom's. (for instance, Bobker's article
>p. 118 MacUser May 1986).  What permanent damage results from this?  I
>am currently writing this on a thin Mac with hfs etc.  Everything's
>working for me so far ...

If it's working then it obviously is feasible.  Finder 5.x comes with a
Switcher partition of 192K, however, which is good evidence that it should
have more than 128K.  I do know that Finder 5.[12] is extremely efficient
when given large amounts of RAM, but gave me a real hassle when run
with 192K under Switcher.  ex:I would drag 1 file to another disk.  'Ran out
of memory during copy--please drag files in separate groups'  !?!?! with one
file?  I then drag the file again.  'Rewrite files witht the same names?'
[Not that they were there...]  'Yes'  Then it goes and copies them...

>    2.  Has kermit after 0.8(33) shown up yet?

MacKermit 0.8(34) was posted to Columbia recently.  Minor improvements on the
font used etc.  I haven't tried it yet with 800K disks.

-Chris
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton