[net.micro.mac] Apology to Micah

bass@dmsd.UUCP (John Bass) (04/24/86)

Subject: Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #11

Sometimes it would be nice to erase ones posting, after a talk with
Micah we understand each other a bit better. I had assumed Brecher had
a closer relationship to Micah -- this was in error. Thus some of my
anger was miss directed and not deserving the beating I gave Micah.
They have a quality product and like the rest of us are just interested
in shipping value for the $$$ - I am sorry for any problems caused.

My last article was written as something of an offensive defense to
an ongoing series of comments by Mr Brecher which unfairly cast the
MacSCSI product in an unfavorable light (as well as derivative products shipped
by other dealers such as Warp 9). Generally it is not good practice to
for one vendor to publicly knock another vendor -- it makes a lot of
bad feelings and bad press. Having not followed this group for several
weeks (we have been on and off the net because of our own down time and
trashed news from both our feeds) I was more than upset to find Mr. Brecher
promoting HIS/MICHA's product with a campain specifically
against the MacSCSI product. I thus gave both Micah and Brecher a hard rap
for the BS since they are coming from behind as a late starter in the disk
drive upgrade game --I felt Mr Brechers comments were specifically directed to
upset buyers and disrupt the established reputation of Warp 9 and my product.
Micah is specifically targeting users and dealers upset by Warp 9's
direct sale to HighTech end users who don't need to pay for dealer support.

There is a lot of moaning about high prices and support, the two
go hand in hand since support staff are often more expensive than the product.
Both Warp 9 and I feel that technical users (who do not need the
support and overhead of the local sales team) should be able to
buy product at a fair price (IE a single markup to cover the OEM's overhead).
We advise both users and dealers that if they REALLY need detailed SUPPORT
then either buy through a dealer and get the hand holding they need or hire
a local guru to do the installation and support at some fee that is mutually
agreeble. This is called unbundling support from the basic product price.
This practice also drives prices down and makes margins lower somewhere --
either at the dealer or OEM.

Three side effects result -- 1) HighTech buyers get good deals and
are generally happly, 2) LowTech buyers with HighTech friends
make out ok as well, 3) LowTech buyers looking for detailed help
from the OEM's are not likely to get the kind of support they need. LowTech
buyers can sometimes get good service and support from their local store
or dealer at normal shop rates or as goodwill.

Many stores are rightfully upset when the LowTech buyer expects them to spend
hours of support time as goodwill for a product they didn't sell -- they would
be smarter to be upfront and set a reasonable time&materials rate for ALL
support and shift more into the services role than the sales role -- thus
using support and service as a revenue center in their store instead of an
overhead dept. This can improve the customer base since they will draw
sales from stores that are less customer service oriented. Some users will
be confused for having to PAY for what was a FREE service -- this can be
handled by discounting within the store and/or offering "support and training
coupons" when sales are made at list. Some stores are VERY upfront about
their VALUE-ADDED role in the market place and stress the support they offer
at LIST price vs. support from Cash&Carry discount stores. A lot of customer
awareness needs to be generated in this area.

My posting generated about the same discomfort in the management at Micah
as I had from Brecher's ongoing remarks -- they called here HOT screaming
lawsuits, bad faith, false statements, etc to one of my staff while I was gone.
When I returned Tony Roumell's call and we both understood that each of
us don't like this kind of BS -- several things were settled. First Mr.Brecher
is not an on staff employee of Micah but a contractor selling his own services.
Second that both of us would suggest to Mr Brecher that as an agent of Micah
he should not to place either Micah or us in such a postition again where one
or both of us need to defend ourself from a highly negative public posting by
the other parties agent(s). Third that all parties (Micah, Warp 9, DMS Design,
and Fastime) endevor to ship a quality product although we disagree on
required levels of support in various markets and other issues about discount
direct sale and value-added services from OEM's and dealers.

Tony corrected several statements I had made in error. They are now in full
production having shipped "a couple hundred" units instead of the
"several dozen" I was aware of. He also claimed to be 100% mac plus
compatable -- I don't know if this means that Micah's hostadapter just
works with a mac plus or that their hostadapter provides a 100% hardware
and software compatable external mac plus scsi port on a 512k system like our
MacSCSI Plus hostadapter (anybody who has a Micah drive know?).

I also called Mr Brecher and tried to explain a much different view point
for setting performance and interleave values than his. His goal is to
build THE BENCHMARK that clearly states WHO IS BEST based on HIS
definition of a STANDARD WORKLOAD. I generally distrust ANY benchmark
that has someone elses FIXED view of a STANDARD WORKLOAD. System usages
vary too greatly between users, applications, and system environments.
More on this later.

The following is a direct reply to various comments from Mr Brecher found in
several articles in the Delphi Digest that promted the heated posting.
The posting resulted in a number of questions by people that called/wrote
me -- I will try again to explain my alternate viewpoint on this issue
of performance and interleave values.

> From: BRECHER (6660)
> Subject: Re: Macintosh Hard Drives
> Date: 20-MAR 05:29 MUGS Online
>
> ....   If speed is a criterion, forget
> Warp 9; it uses basically the highly inefficient MacSCSI driver
> software (it also requires a boot floppy).  For speed among
> currently-available internal drives, consider HyperDrive or
> MicahDrive.  Informal tests reported to but not verified by me
> indicate MicahDrive to be somewhat faster.  The MicahDrive uses 1:1
> sector interleave (i.e., no interleave); I believe that current
> HyperDrives use 2:1.   ....
>
> Claimer:  I wrote the MicahDrive ROM/driver/manager.

There was NO need to single us out other than Warp 9 is the 2nd largest
shipper of Mac internal disk subsystems behind General Computer. We are also
the lowest cost since we do direct mail order sales to technically
self-supporting end users -- thus bypassing the 40% markup that the store/dealer
needs to pay their overheads (this by the way has many dealers red hot
across the US).

If speed were the ONLY requirement in racing any land vehicle everyone would
be using some sort of rocket with dozens of ways to try and keep it on the
ground. In autocross racing I prefer my hot corvair ... it handles quite well
both on the track and in the hills -- it has ample horsepower (about 200)
and a light weight (about 2200lbs). This makes it quite responsive against
mussle cars with large block V8's that weigh much more and handle poorly --
for drag events I would use another car more suitable for drags. Atlas rockets
perform poorly in autocrosses, and would be great in some class of drag events
if you could refit and refuel them between heats (not an easy chore). For all
around driving my Corvairs are great on the street, track and hills -- and
cost much less than the puesdo "FAST" cars that have "STATUS".

Nothing about disk subsystem performance is as cut and dried either!
As for the various versions of our MacSCSI drivers, each performs quite well
in the intended application, each version better than the previous -- all are
VERY COST COMPETITIVE. Mr Brecher's coments about "the highly inefficient
MacSCSI driver" are both WRONG and OUT OF LINE. We set the hardware interleave
slower for a reason -- given a reasonable controller and properly tuned
transfer loop the MacSCSI Pin board will transfer faster than a 4:1 interleave
instead of the 11:1 (or slower if single sector) default we ship.
We published the driver as single sector because several of the early
SASI controllers don't handle multisector read/write command properly.
These controllers are common on the used market here for under $100.

We did the FIRST SCSI disk subsystem on a MAC and published the MEAGER EARLY
version from last summer in DDJ. That propted dozens of competitors within
weeks of the article to start building the BETTER product learning from our
mistakes. We showed Apple one of our boards early last summer and they
quickly added the NCR5380 onto the main logic board and offered it
as the MacPlus (clearly defining SCSI as the standard interface). We have
learned from our and others mistakes as well -- we have fixed the bugs in the
early driver that we evolved from the Aztec C ram disk driver and have
evolved the hardware to emulate the MacPlus addressing to get both hardware
and software compatability with other MacPlus SCSI compatable products.

The original MacSCSI pin board is relatively SLOW because of the
software strobes used instead of the Psuedo-DMA transfers used in ALL
later hostadapters including the MacPlus. When I did the original design
the Ncr5380 had been on the street a few months and making the Psuedo
DMA work required some understanding that wasn't well documented at that
time. We figured it out a few months later, but well after the DDJ article
was off to press. The SAFE PIO transfer loop is pretty slow but works on
on all controllers and is REQUIRED on most controllers to pass command
and status data. A faster unfolded PIO or PsuedoDMA  transfer loop without
edge checking is safe for most data transfers -- but breaks on several
controllers where the micro can cause delays in the data transfer rate.
Thus you need to have a detailed understanding of the controller to
optimize the SCSI software to it.

Warp 9 never planned to ship the original MacSCSI pin boards -- the sudden
removal of the AP 64 pin clip from the market caused them to take a sudden
last minute change of plans. They have planned to ship a MacPlus compatable
host adapter all along -- now that the AP vs. General Computer thing is
getting settled, AP clips are being delivered again in small quantity.
I expect Warp 9 will shift back to the MacSCSI Plus board shortly.
In Jan Warp 9 wanted product ASAP and we had little run time on the OMTI
3100 controller so we opted to play it safe and do full edge following, lest
some glitch cause problems on hundreds of systems in the field. They have
since optimized the transfer rate on the MacSCSI pin board  based on more
confidence in the OMTI controller. All of this is really history since the
pin board is a DEAD product given the MacSCSI Plus -- We will be offering
a low cost upgrade for owners of our Original boards shortly, Mirror/Warp 9
have talked about doing the same.

We offer unbundled parts to build either an internal and/or external upgrade
at less than $900, and Warp 9 is offering  about the same for a packaged unit
with value added services and software (but no sources) -- Micah's offering is
primarily directed at their dealer channel and their prices were quoted at
something higher than ours ???? (something around/under 1,495???) which
is a FAIR price for that market given current costs for production, sales,
and support.

> I haven't seen any Mac SCSI floppy disks (technically, the Bernoulli Boxes use
> floppy media; but they perform like hard disks).

The name Mac SCSI is our product/trademark name (TM application pending). We
don't offer or ship a floppy product. Mr Brecher should not try and confuse
the world by using MacSCSI as both our product name and a generic term.

> The test is designed to measure hardware and disk driver performance, with no
> influence from the file system (HFS/MFS) or volume/file/Finder configuration.
> The program issues I/O requests directly to the disk driver.
>
> The benchmark consists of three parts:
>
> (1) 100 reads of 32KB of data from the start of the volume;
> (2) 100 writes of 32KB of data to the start of the volume;
> --the above two tests measure data transfer speed; 32KB was chosen to
> be a reasonably large chunk, but not so large that it would cross a
> cylinder boundary (thus not requiring any head movement).
>
> (3) 40 iterations of:  read one 512-byte block from an offset of 1MB, followed
>                        by read of one 512-byte block from start of volume;
> --the above test measures access time, i.e., seek or head movement speed.

> The test is non-destructive -- test (2) writes the data that was read
> in test ( 1).  Test (3) is bypassed if the volume size is less than
> 1MB+512bytes.  The volume tested is that from which the program is
> run.

The problem here is that we have a fundamentally diffent view of how the
Mac is being used. I assume that 512/1mb systems will use the switcher
to remove the long loading times for the VERY large Mac applications,
or that a RAM disk will be used for the high activity programs and files
in development environments like working under something like the Aztec C shell.
The REMAINING disk traffic is generally short requests thru the filesystem
where the burst transfer rate should have little effect.

Consider that many filesystem requests to the driver are are short, a few
blocks -- the PIO transfer for the 512 bytes from the NCR5380 (from the
data buffer in the disk controller) is at best about 1ms using blind reads
with the best possible hardware pseudo-dma, about 2ms using SAFER
hardware pseudo-dma and about 4-5ms for an edge following programmed I/O
transfer with software strobes (note that several controllers may NOT work
with blind pseudo-dma transfers ALL the time).

Most SCSI/SASI controllers are reasonably fast at data transfer but are
very poorly optimized for all the other activities to handle a command.
For each command setup to the SCSI bus most controllers take between 2-5ms to
transfer and decode the comand packet BEFORE THEY START SEEKING OR LOOKING
FOR DATA ON THE TRACK. After the last data byte most controllers take another
1 TO 3 MS to return the status and message bytes. Thus including the SCSI
transfer time from above -- MOST SCSI CONTROLLER READ/WRITE COMMANDS take
4 to 8 ms to COMPLETE. A simple Test-Unit-Ready command is generally more than
3ms for nearly every controller.  In addition, using a logic analyser, measured
the Mac cpu service times per disk request seem to be between 2 and 8ms
depending on the system call and task on filesystems less than 3mb.

To optimize for filesystem traffic the hardware interleave should be set
somewhere between 4 and 11 ms (that is between 4:1 and 11:1) depending on
the controller, host adapter, driver, and the types of disk requests you
wish to optimize for.  Closer to 4:1 for application startup and closer to
11:1 for most disk intensive applications like data bases. Missing interleave
is very damaging -- disk throughput drops as much as 93% depending on the miss and original interleave.

Unless the customer can set the interleave during format, I recomend something
between 6:1 and 8:1 for machines in the Mac's class.

All of this is a drop in the bucket when you find that the Mac filesystem/OS
or finder crawls into a hole with filesystem that have 10mb or more of allocated
files -- above 18mb bootup to the finder desk top takes more than a minute
on a system that took 7sec at 3mb. Any hard disk larger than 20mb has to
be partioned into MUCH smaller chunks. The Apple filesystem/OS and finder
are just not designed for hard disks.

So buyer beware when the salesman touts HIS benchmark ... do YOUR HOMEWORK and
shop for price/performance that meets YOUR goals and pocketbook.

Have fun ....
John Bass
--

John Bass (DBA: Fastime, DBA:DMS Design)
DMS Design (System Design, Performance and Arch Consultants)