[net.micro.mac] Captain Magneto Help Needed!

ryan@ucla-cs.ARPA (_R_y_a_n_ _R_._ _R_a_m_s_e_y) (04/07/86)

Now that i finnaly installed Cap'n Magneto, what are you supposed to do?
I have found the tricorder, shield, axe and a year supply of apples.
I know where the pistol is but when i come near it, i am attacked
by unfriendly gure(s). When i come near the castle (with friends) i am
dragged to the robot and it thereby proceeds to kill me.. Any hints???

osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (04/10/86)

I'm personally acquainted with the author of Captain Magneto. I'll relay your
question to him and post his reply, probably later today.

Ron Morgan
osmigo1@ut-ngp

osmigo1, UTexas Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  osmigo1@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!osmigo1  allegra!ut-ngp!osmigo1  gatech!ut-ngp!osmigo1
       seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!osmigo1  harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!osmigo1

osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (04/10/86)

Well, I just talked to the guy. After a considerable amount of light-hearted
ridicule of your game-playing ability, he said to "listen to the clues."
The two-headed dude in the castle has something you have to get before you
can get the pistol.

....Ron

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (04/16/86)

  -------------------------------------
> The two-headed dude in the castle has something you have to get before you
> can get the pistol.
>
> ....Ron

I just couldn't let this pass.  I tried Captain Magneto.  After about 10
minutes of operating the game I got out the old bulk eraser.  Seriously
folks, is it me or is this one of the worst user interfaces ever programmed
on the Mac.  Someday someone will create a proper "joystick".  All that is
really required is a circle with a small hole in the center.  When the mouse
is on the hole, the character is resting.  Dragging the pointer onto the
"disc" starts the character moving in the corresponding direction.  The inside
edge is for walking, the outside edge is for running.  Make sense?  I could
always draw it up in MacPaint and post it :-).  Well I still have the comment
form for Magneto and I keep trying to remember to write up my criticisms and
send them to the author (low priority).  Maybe the next version...

P.S.  I also cannot stand those pleading and sometimes insulting ads for
      money.  I'm sure they do more harm then good.  Hopefully the author
      will have made a fortune on the first release so a second can leave
      the whinning to the Mac's speaker.
--
Time for a new catchy phrase in my                           Howard C. Simonson
 .signature, now if I could only     ...{dragon,hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ Opinion? What opinion.  I think you have the wrong guy... ]

lah@miro.berkeley.edu (Cmndr. RYN Leigh Ann Hussey) (04/17/86)

In article <3195@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>Well, I just talked to the guy. After a considerable amount of light-hearted
>ridicule of your game-playing ability, he said to "listen to the clues."

As it happens, the clues that help one get what the Menturg is
guarding in the castle never show up in the speech of "friends" until
one has actually gotten the thing in the castle.  Perhaps the author
should beware of ridicule himself, when his program has such bugs in
it.

Regards,
Leigh Ann

Newsgroups: net.micro.mac,net.games
Subject: Re: Captain Magneto Help Needed!

matt@srs.UUCP (Matt Goheen) (04/24/86)

>In article <3195@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>>Well, I just talked to the guy. After a considerable amount of light-hearted
>>ridicule of your game-playing ability, he said to "listen to the clues."
>
>... Perhaps the author
>should beware of ridicule himself, when his program has such bugs in
>it.
>
>Leigh Ann

Speaking of bugs, one of the later hints (after you get the spacesuit)
is something like, "There is fuel on the island" (not an exact quote).
WELL, I go there, see, and I JUMP onto the island, see (using the 'ol
spacesuit), and WHOOSH...the picture zooms in on it's center.  Well,
now the screen is all messed up.  I fix it by covering the screen with
the instructions and then making the instructions go away - BUT, now
everything is screwed up.  SO, I try getting off the island and getting
back on - BOOM - System Error #3 (may have been #2?).  I NO LIKE BUGS!
In addition - I REFUSE TO PAY FOR A GAME THAT PLEADS FOR MONEY!!!!!!
Other than that - I think the game is pretty good (in fact, I actually
like it).

--
- UUCP:							Matt Goheen	 -