[net.micro.mac] MacKermit 0.8

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (02/23/86)

[ gleaned from latest INFO-KERMIT news - apologies for missing the author ]

Subject: Mac Kermit vs Printer Port?

There is a bug in MacKermit 0.8(33).  If the modem port is in use by a hard
disk (Tecmar for example), there is no way to use MacKermit as it generates
an error message indicating that the port is in use and then exits.  It does
not permit the user to use the printer port instead.  Do you have a patch to
get around this problem???

[Ed. - From one of the authors of Mac Kermit: "The ability to use the printer
port is not supported -- it was something we were going to put in but never got
around to.  Since I ordered a Tecmar I'll probably get around to fixing this.]

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (02/24/86)

In article <2988@ut-ngp.UUCP>, werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> If the modem port is in use by a hard
> disk, ...  It does
> not permit the user to use the printer port instead.

It is not generally considered desireable to use the printer port
for a modem, particularly if you are using the (64kb) ROM-based serial
driver.  As I recall (I don't have the docs handy), the Mac will
save characters coming in on the modem port while disk i/o is in
progress, but won't do so for the printer port.

However, the "RAM serial drivers" (in ROM on the Mac Plus) support
X-on/X-off so presumably they would tell your remote host to stop
shoving characters during a disk i/o.

My solution is to buy a SCSI hard disk or an Apple HD20.  Frankly, I
think the people who bought and manufactured the early 3rd-party hard
disks got screwed.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

stevo@ucrmath.UUCP (Steve Groom) (04/25/86)

> In article <1065@h-sc1.UUCP> quah@h-sc1.UUCP (danny quah) writes:
> >    2.  Has kermit after 0.8(33) shown up yet?
>
> MacKermit 0.8(34) was posted to Columbia recently.  Minor improvements on the
> font used etc.  I haven't tried it yet with 800K disks.

I took one look at MacKermit 0.8(34) and decided it was not for me.  If
there's one thing I can't stand about a computer it's a blinking cursor!
(I do prefer the block to the underline though, at least on the Mac.)
So, still 0.8(33) for me.

Kermit people listening?  Maybe some way to control cursor style/blink? Thanks.

/* Steve Groom
 * Graduate Computer Science, Univ. of California, Riverside
 * {ucbvax!ucdavis, ihnp4!ucla-cs} !ucrmath!stevo
 *
 * "Whaddaya want for nothin' ?!"
 */